Can I do full boil on a stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
I just acquired a 9 gal. pot and was wondering if I could use a stove top or if I needed a separate boiler for a full 5 gal. boil.

Most stoves cannot do a full boil, just not enough BTU's. They might also have trouble with the weight of a kettle. If you can position the pot to cover two burners, that would probably work.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to WalMart and purchase a propane-fired turkey fryer set for $37.

I had been trying to get nearly-full-boils going on my new kitchen range, using a 32-qt pot...it took a matter of probably 45 minutes to an hour just to get a minor boil. Longer than that to get anything resembling "rolling". And that was using 2 burners, and moving it around constantly to get the heat absorbed better. Ugh. Sucked. So I got a cheap turkey fryer over the weekend, and did a full boil last night for the first time on it. It rocks. Took me all of 4 minutes to get a boil.

So, CAN you do a full boil on a range? Probably. Will it take much longer than normal, waste energy and be a big PITA? No doubt. $37 is a small price to pay for the time and energy saved.

With my electric stove, it takes me 30 minutes to boil 3 gallons of water out of my hot water tap. Thankfully, I have enough elevation to get it to boil at 200F, or I'd be waiting 10 minutes longer.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a sale on turkey fryers so I can make the switch.

Yuri_Rage said:
I managed a few full (6 gallon) boils on my gas stove top before switching to the turkey fryer method. Never looked back.

Out of curiosity, what are you using now that you're doing 15 gallon boils? Still turkey fryers?

the_bird said:
Out of curiosity, what are you using now that you're doing 15 gallon boils? Still turkey fryers?
200,000 BTU natural gas burner...f*** yeah!

4688-holyhellburner.JPG

That's right, now I remember... that thing looks fricki' awesome. I'm looking at a burner that kicks out 210k, I really don't feel like screwing around.... :D

Ditto to all,
The most frustrating experience with my first all Grain brew was trying to get it to boil on a gas top stove, Ho lee sit I tell you what! It must have took me three hours to do a one hour boil! The turkey fryer is the way to go.

feedthebear said:
With my electric stove, it takes me 30 minutes to boil 3 gallons of water out of my hot water tap. Thankfully, I have enough elevation to get it to boil at 200F, or I'd be waiting 10 minutes longer.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a sale on turkey fryers so I can make the switch.

Wal Mart. $37. **** yeah.

Back