Atkins diet & beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you want to resort to Mich Ultra, Miller Lite, or Bud Select, you can't stay true to the Atkins diet and still drink beer in even moderate quantities.

Your body needs carbohydrates anyways. It is not a very healthy way to diet. Watch your fat and calorie intake and exercise regularly and you will see benefits guaranteed.

Atkins isn't really that healthy, but I've wondered about eliminating all carbs other than beer. Should be the perfect diet for me!

You could also try brewing a "small beer". I haven't seen any recipes - who wants to brew a 1.5-2% batch? - but it should have much less carbs and still taste like beer.

Do your self a favor and do not do the Atkins Diet, as others have said it is very un healthy. I have a good friend who's dad is a Doctor, he says he would rather see a person 50 pounds over weight that be on the Atkins diet for any period of time.

Atkins while good for losing weight is only healthy for diabetics who can't process the sugar. If you are concerned about the carbs, then cut out the empty ones that don't come with any nutrients. Wonder bread is a prime example.

If you are looking into a diet check out Weight Watchers. SWMBO bought a book on ebay...essentially you are alloted so many points per day and the book has the point value for all sorts of foods and there is a book with points for food from chains.

You can calculate the points from the nutrition facts too: (calories/50)+(grams fat/12)-minimum of(4, dietary fiber/4)

The first few weeks are tough but we have been doing it for a couple months now. I have lost over 25 pounds.

Tenchiro said:
Atkins while good for losing weight is only healthy for diabetics who can't process the sugar. If you are concerned about the carbs, then cut out the empty ones that don't come with any nutrients. Wonder bread is a prime example.

Well that is true to a point, A low carb and keeping out simple carbs is good for diabetics. A high fat no carbs diet is not good for anyone. You may lose weight but your kidneys are not going to like you.

Ryanh1801 said:
Well that is true to a point, A low carb and keeping out simple carbs is good for diabetics. A high fat no carbs diet is not good for anyone. You may lose weight but your kidneys are not going to like you.

Personally I think a balanced diet w/ moderate exercise is the bast way to go for almost everyone (barring medical issues). That way you don't have to cut anything out and deprive yourself. Depriving yourself of something you enjoy now is just going to lead to binging on it later and that is just as unhealthy as anything else.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. :mug:

I agree with Thichero. Exercise is the easiest thing to do. Diet sucks. I found the best thing is stay away from the burger joints or any fast food for that matter.

Ó Flannagáin said:

Hot little girl too.

I started at 272, at 260 now.
Once I get to 250, I'm going onto phase 2 of Atkins (or 3)
I started walking 2x per day, for 10 minutes each (I get bored easily).
Target is 215. This will put me at 15% bodyfat.

I get really hungry on regular diets. Doing the Atkins first allows me to ease into it.

Going back to look at that beer diet again. :ban:

Back