Do i need the protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
I'm doing a Dixie blackened voodoo lager clone and it calls for a protein rest. I've never done one and don't really want to, just wanna know if it's absolutely necessary. The bill is as such, 16# 2 row, 5# 6 row, 1.5# chocolate and .75# C80. I understand that 6 row should get the protein rest, but at 21.5% of the bill and it being a darker brew I'm leaning fiestas forgoing it. Anyone have any input on this?

What is the purpose of the 6-row in this recipe? I think you could safely sub 2-row for the 6-row and not worry about the protein rest at all.

6-row is good for mashes high in unmalted starchy adjuncts, like corn or rice or flaked grains. It is also extra husky, so could help with sparging beers with high wheat contents. Besides those two applications, I don't see why you'd want to use 6-row.

Yeah I couldn't tell you why. Just following the recipe. Thanks for the input though, I'll look into it.

Latest posts

Back