How early is too early to call yeast dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmac5071

Reaction score
I just brewed up 10 gallons on Sunday, split into two fermenters, both pitched around 26 hours ago. Out of laziness both got us05, which I rarely use, usually use 090. One has airlock activity and obvious fermentation when I opened it up. The other no airlock and smells sweet, no co2 or krausen. Is it time to pitch some backup yeast? Never had a delayed start or dead yeast so not sure when to call it and use something else on the fridge.

Yes, it may even be actively fermenting. Sometimes US05 is very mild mannered. I suspect 24 hours from now you'll have krausen.

I would not personally wait much past 48 hours. But then that's taking into consideration that I always rehydrate, or if using liquid yeast, I always make a starter. So, in fact, if I don't have activity before 24 hours post pitch, I'm gonna start to worry.

Though I have one churning away today (ended up having to install a blowoff tube at about 36 hours), and it was the new pure pitch thing by white labs. It says that it should start by 5-15 hours post pitch. It was almost exactly at 15 hours, maybe even a little longer. But I underpitched that one because it's a witbier and I wanted to try to draw out more of the esters and phenols from it.

Had a krausen when I checked after a bit over 48 hours, then lots of airlock activity the following morning. Never had a yeast take that long to start..but I typically use liquid yeast and a starter.

Was just really odd to me that one packet took off like I am used to and the other took forever to get going. Guess I will see if there is any taste difference from the long lag or not in a couple weeks.

It's always ok to pitch more yeast. You're not going to overpitch.

Looks like a good time to whip out the Panic Flowchart:

panic_flowchart-50723.jpg

Haha great flow chart, I normally never worry about this stuff and always make good beer but this was an off brew day to begin with and I need this ready three weeks from brew day, so every day counts on this one

Haha great flow chart, I normally never worry about this stuff and always make good beer but this was an off brew day to begin with and I need this ready three weeks from brew day, so every day counts on this one

I know how that is. I've been brewing like this since June. 15 batches since the beginning of July.

Update one this, just kegged both fermenters and tasted the uncarbed side by side.

No delay batch: normal flavor however has a slight Belgian character - was the fermenter I previously used for a Belgian for my wife. Was cleaned with pbw but light Belgian character. Tastes great, but that character is slightly there. Being served in less than a week so not sure I will get a true sense of flavor over time.

Slow start: slight soapy favor. Tastes fine but not sure I'm gonna get over the soapy flavor after cold conditioning so keg hopped with around .7oz centennial in a ss tea ball. First time with soapy as a flavor so not sure the cause.

Overall both should be perfectly fine but I think I may stop using 05 as I've never experienced different flavors when pitching the same liquid yeast starters.

As for the flavor carryover that is new to me, although I typically use 090 back to back so it woudnt be expected. Seems to me most people do not experience this so not sure the cause. May expedite my changeover to ss fermenters...

Pitched 05 on an Imperial Irish red on the 25th, just started burping this morning. Sometimes its "soapy" while young but it dies off very quickly as it matures. I keg after I reach my target gravity and use a spunding valve to carb naturally so that may/may not help me.

I am a big fan of Safale dry yeasts though, I get the tails from 500g blocks from the local tap room, hard to pay $10.00 for a liquid when I get the dry stuff for free.

Back