Moving to Germany maybe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
I am probably moving to Germany in the next 6 months and thought that I might be interested in taking my brewing to a more professional level. So, I was looking into the brew schools over there. Anyone have any insight on this topic. Let me know...and good pubs for me to check would be welcome too.:mug: THANKS...in advance

Errr, where you planning on being? Are you coming over here for giggles or study abroad or work or something?

Sprichst du Deutsch. Ich glaub' alle Bräuklasse auf Deutsch sind, also sprichst du nicht, schade.

My fiance is going to be teaching on an army base there for two years. I am going over there with her for the two years. I have no idea what I am going to do over there. I am pretty much playing it by ear right now. I will be near Berlin and I don't speak German. I am very much in the dark about any aspect of Germany, but will be having to get a job outside of the base...feel like it is going to be pretty tough pulling that off, but I am very interested in brewing beer so I thought that might be an option.

...the plan was Berlin, but there are also other options. The other possibilities are Frankfurt and maybe Hamburg, but it is most likely going to be Berlin.

Seibel Institute of Brewing and Tech has a school in Germany i think (there's one here in Chicago), but classes might be in German.

I've heard of Siebel in Chicago, but didn't know there was a branch in Germany. ill try to find if they have some classes. The only one I've seen has been Doemens

I could be wrong, but I don't think we have a base near Hamburg or Berlin anymore.

Near Frankfurt would be Darmstadt, Mannheim, Seckenheim, and Heidelberg.

You'll have to apply for a working visa from the German Gov't and if you don't speak German you're kind of up the creek...:eek:

Deutsch ist nicht eine schwer sprach...German is not a difficult language. :D

English is actually a Germanic language.

Keep us informed when you find out more...

sorry about the wrong info on the bases. My fiance was given them to me off the top of her head, but i will check with her to give me the correct info.

OK, found out that it is not a base we would be living in, but near one of the three cities listed above. We would just be over there through the defense system. Its some need-base teaching thing through the government, but she would be teaching at an American school. Sorry for the bad info.

When I moved to Germany, I took a 5 year sabbatical from brewing. I just went to the Trinkmarkt and picked up a rack or three of favorite German brews.

Enjoy yourself.

I did the same as Ed did...intensive hands on research...:drunk:;)

I already figured it was for the American school system...and I lived off base as well...wouldn't have gone over if they made me stay on-post...

Since you already have a girlfriend you can't do as I did and have several on the side teaching you German...so find a soldier married to a German and ask her for lessons...;)

Option 3: go to a gasthaus and learn gasthaus Deutsch first...nah, get a teacher...and practice at the gasthaus...:D

Well, I'm currently here and I can tell you that getting a work visa without any prior german language skills might be a bit tricky, and finding a job to boot. If you do happen to land near a major US base (Frankfurt or Heidleberg. Berlin nor Hamburg have anymore) then apply there for a job. They pay decent wages and usually are looking for native American English speakers to help out--and you don't have to apply for a work visa.

If you do end up getting a work visa (50 Euros), check around with the local universities to see if they have any openings for tutoring or classes: some so you can earn a little cash helping someone else, and see what the options are for taking a course or two. And yes, buy (or dl...shhhhh i didn't say that) that software. It will help you get a jumpstart, but obviously you're going to need a human being to help straighten you out. Normally you can find language institutes in the major cities for good pricing and could be speaking enough within a few months to have more options open up.

As for brewing, probably not going to happen. Finding brew stores and equipment here is slightly more difficult than one would imagine. Beer here is very cheap and very good, so no one really has the desire for the hobby. Do some hands on research like EdWort has suggested and homebrewer_99, I think the three of us are kinda the authorities on Deutschland on this site.

When are you planning on arriving? Maybe I'll still be around here, and sorry if my sentences suck--just spent 4-5 days speaking nothing but german and this is my first english since then.

Thanks Kleinmeister...I will be coming in January 09 or August 09...not quite sure yet. I guess the hands on research will have to do.:mug: Its suprising to me that people don't brew in Germany. Are you still going to be around in January? If so, where will you be located?

Eh, shoot. I'm coming back sometime this summer. The crux of the beer situation comes down to a few boiling points: like i said, beer here is both amazing and cheap so the need isn't here. It was really invented by some Americans looking to diversify their pallets (well not invented but re-established). I can go to a Getränke center here and buy around 50-75 of the best beers in the world, all for 0.40-0.60$ a bottle (0.5L) so it's not really that big of a deal.

Uh, guys...??? Germany actually has a lot of homebrewers and supplies can be purchased...:ban:

I am also a member of hobbybrauer.de...

If you don't understand German there is a translator. If memory serves me right it's on the top right side. For most English tranlations on foreign language site look for a British flag.

My 23 German racks/bottles are from the getrankemarkt...

Uh, guys...??? Germany actually has a lot of homebrewers and supplies can be purchased...:ban:

I am also a member of hobbybrauer.de...

If you don't understand German there is a translator. If memory serves me right it's on the top right side. For most English tranlations on foreign language site look for a British flag.

My 23 German racks/bottles are from the getrankemarkt...

Most Ausgescheichnet!

With the cities you listed and as limited as your German is I agree with what was said before that you would be better off in somewhere like Frankfurt. As i'm not a fan of Frankfurt (too metropolitan and doesn't really feel like Germany, also too drug infested and dirty IMO) but everyone there speaks english. Just a shame you can't go to Bavaria. IMO the most beautiful part of germany and the lifestyle there is SOOO laid back! Lived there for 3 years and can't wait to go back in a little under a year and a half when i finish PA school! My german is REALLY suffering! Used to speak pretty fluently and now barely anything. Damn i need to find someone to practice with. But as was said before it is not a difficult language to learn. It seems hard at first if you are studying from a book (grammar can be a PITA) but when you have a human to speak with you quickly see how it all fits together.

Pardon me for my ignorance. I was under the impression that it wasn't very popular because I've spent quite a bit of time here and never saw a homebrew shop and everytime i mention homebrewing i get the most shocked looks in the world, like it's illegal here or something. meh.

Pardon me for my ignorance. I was under the impression that it wasn't very popular because I've spent quite a bit of time here and never saw a homebrew shop and everytime i mention homebrewing i get the most shocked looks in the world, like it's illegal here or something. meh.

I spent 5 years there living as a native and never saw a selbstbrauer store. I understand the looks when you can get a case of 20 half liter bottles for 10 Euros.

I never had space for the equipment, but did buy a second fridge just for beer and it was always full, with cases on backup. I used a beer delivery service. Life was good over there from a beer perspective.

You will love Germany! I lived there for a summer for work, and speak very little German. The people are great and the culture is fantastic. Drink the German beer and spend your weekends doing something you can't do in the States! I am sooo jealous. I would go to any city but Frankfurt if you have any choice in the matter. You will be happy you did! The north and south are very different but both are fantastic. Have fun!!!

This clears up a lot. This seems to be what I needed(eventhough it is mainly in German, gotta learn it sooner or later). When I started this thread I was pretty wary of being in Germany for two years, but now I can't wait to go. There is one negative though, I don't think I'll want to come back. Thanks for easing my mind:mug:

Is it pretty easy to go to different countries over there if I have a passport? I'm thinking Belgium, UK, and Netherlands would definately be worth the visit, beer wise among other things.

If you are going to Berlin, check out the VLB. This is a brewing school in Berlin that also offers englisch courses. Click on “Braukurse International” on the left hand side.

Weihenstephan, near Munich, is the biggest school over there.

Home brewing over there, may actually be a very good idea for you. You can base your process on how the Germans do it and constantly compare your results with fresh store bought ones. Once you mastered them you will come back with so much more knowledge and skills. But learning German would be a real plus in your case.

Kai

There is one negative though, I don't think I'll want to come back. Thanks for easing my mind:mug:

Is it pretty easy to go to different countries over there if I have a passport? I'm thinking Belgium, UK, and Netherlands would definately be worth the visit, beer wise among other things.

This trip will make you seriously consider how much you like your family, and if it is worth living near them. My wife and I talk about moving back to DE all the time. It is so tempting you can't (yet ;)) believe.

Travel is very easy, I prefer the train system, but if you have a car that works too.

(I hope your SWMBO is getting paid in Euros :drunk:)

VLB looks like it is what I am looking for. I am thinking Berlin is going to be where we go, so that works out. What is the US dollar equivalent to 13,000 Euros?:drunk:

Go back to the site and look for this in the block near the top on the right hand side:

Übersetzen Hier kannst Du die Startseite ins Englische oder Französische übersetzen.
Translate the homepage to English or French -Language Sprache-EnglishFrench
Pull down the Language and select English...;)

I was there when the Euro first came out. It was $0.80 for 1 Euro...I wanted to invest $50k in it...SWMBO wouldn't allow it...we would have doubled our money in 7 years...DAMN!!!:eek:

When i was there it went from around $0.80 all the way down to like $0.65. HUGE drop! The army gives you cost of living allowance to offset the more expensive costs of everything but they would always base it off of one "random" day they choose to look at the exchange rate and it seems like they would always do it when the exchange rate was best so you get screwed. I have heard that since i have been there they are a lot better about it now. Just a good thing we were able to buy gas on post there. $7 something a gallon off post is ridiculous! I can't wait to go back but just hope things get better as far as exchange rate!

Go back to the site and look for this in the block near the top on the right hand side:

Übersetzen Hier kannst Du die Startseite ins Englische oder Französische übersetzen.
Translate the homepage to English or French -Language Sprache-EnglishFrench
Pull down the Language and select English...;)

That makes it easier:drunk:

I'll tell you what...this whole Euro kicking the dollar totally sucks. I can't believe how poor I am all the time. The cost of food, gas and normal everyday products has risen here too so it's a combination of everything and dropping 1.55 for 1 euro bites.

Yeah we kinda like that :p

I might just import my computer parts from the states. It just SO cheap :D

Back