7.9G Bucket for Big Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To rack beer off, do you take the lid off and hold the cane off the cake while it transfers? The cane wont fit into the bung,right?

Misplaced_Canuck said:
Why not use 2x 5-gallons and have plenty of headspace and the capability to aerate more?

M_C

Because it's just easier to ferment in one bucket. Less cleaning/sanitizing. Easier to pitch also.

Because it's just easier to ferment in one bucket. Less cleaning/sanitizing. Easier to pitch also.

+1. You are basically brewing smaller amounts of two beers which is fine if that is what you want. If you go this route, just go to any large grocery store deli and they will give you food grade buckets for free( frosting). I have a ton of them to keep mine grain in.

To rack beer off, do you take the lid off and hold the cane off the cake while it transfers? The cane wont fit into the bung,right?

Do you mean an autosiphon? If it fits in the neck of a carboy it will fit in the opening on the lid of the bucket as well.

Edit: I see this is a grommet-type lid. You'd have to crack the lid to rack, yes, or drill out a bigger hole around the grommet to accept a bung directly (that's what I would do, personally).

i have a 7.9g, and ferment in it. brewing the same beers, with the same yeast, friends use a blowoff tube in a 5g. i just let it ferment with an airlock in the big boy fermenter

I also use 6 gal better bottles with no blowoff even for my high gravity stuff.

Just add some fermcap -s and forgetaboutit!

Back