Is my fermentation on track?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDey78

Reaction score
This is my first non-Mr. Beer batch and I decided to make an all-grain pale ale. I have about four gallons in a five gallon carboy and my airlock was bubbling 2-3 times per second yesterday (24 hours after pitching yeast), but now it's only bubbling a couple times per minute. Is that a typical progression of fermentation? I guess I was expecting the more rapid bubbling for a few days.

Airlocks can be fun to watch,but aren't always a good indicator of fermentation. I've had batches that might've bubbled twice the whole time. A good hydrometer is your best indicator. But yeah,it'll go pretty good for 2-4 days. Then slow down & maybe not bubble again till it reaches FG.

First, airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation. You need to take hydrometer readings.

Second, what yeast are you using? Complete attenuation in 48 hours is not unheard of, especially with fast fermenting yeasts (e.g. S-04). You still probably want to leave it in the carboy for 2-3 weeks to condition, even if attenuation is complete. But in any case, you'll want to check on that with a hydrometer.

Third... uh, hydrometer. Yeah. :)

Yes, what you describe sounds perfectly normal. Leave it be for another two weeks or so, and check the gravity then, and see if it has cleared up a bit by then. Lighter gravity beers might ferment out quicker, but it really all depends on many factors including yeast, temperature, and gravity.

My wife's using US-05 on hers now with an OG of 1.050. It went pretty vigorous for 3-4 days,& finishing up now. It'll be another few days at least,making it about 3 weeks.

It is entirely possible that US-05 completed the bulk of attenuation for a 1.054 beer in 48 hours. The only way to know for sure is with a hydrometer, of course, but it wouldn't be at all shocking.

If it will make you feel better, take a hydrometer reading. I bet it's under 1.020 already, probably within 5 points of the FG. Or if you already feel better, wait another 10 days or so before taking a hydrometer reading, and it should be at the FG for sure by then. Sounds like you are doing great!

My wife's using US-05 on hers now with an OG of 1.050. It went pretty vigorous for 3-4 days,& finishing up now. It'll be another few days at least,making it about 3 weeks.

I love how you and your wife brew! My wife won't come anywhere near brewing with me. At the most, she'll have a sip of my beer and give me a smile of which I infer "I hate beer, but this is great"!

It's kinda cool how it all started. We always liked to party,so we got together,& the rest...She always liked my beers,& said she wanted to go with me the next time I went to the LHBS. Wow! Really? Cool! She picked out a kit that sounded good out of a whole bunch of Brewer's Best kits that just came in. Mentored her on what to do,& she nailed everything! What a trooper. But that US-05 yeast is rather tolerant,& fermented very well indeed. Gotta teach her to do the hydro sample one more time...

Thanks for all the advise. I checked the gravity yesterday and it was 1.010, right where I wanted it, so I bottled today.

Thanks for all the advise. I checked the gravity yesterday and it was 1.010, right where I wanted it, so I bottled today.

In the future I'd recommend giving it an extra week or two before bottling. There is more to fermentation than simply the attenuation (alcohol-producing) phase where you get the gravity change. Check out this link and the subsequent pages for more info.

Although there are some styles that you can get out of the primary faster, I'd be hesitant to give any beer less than 14 days in the fermenter. I prefer to give them 21 days if possible.

I'm sure this one will be fine though! :mug:

jsweet said:
In the future I'd recommend giving it an extra week or two before bottling. There is more to fermentation than simply the attenuation (alcohol-producing) phase where you get the gravity change. Check out this link and the subsequent pages for more info.

Although there are some styles that you can get out of the primary faster, I'd be hesitant to give any beer less than 14 days in the fermenter. I prefer to give them 21 days if possible.

I'm sure this one will be fine though! :mug:

Good info. I will definitely leave it in the primary longer from here on out.

Back