Sour base recipe to have on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
I've been dreaming about doing a sour ale for some time, but a bit apprehensive about tying my fermenters up for a whole year- however, I recently came into three 1 gallon jugs which got me thinking- it would be great to make a very sour base ale that I could keep on hand to blend with larger batches of other beer. Can anyone recommend a good recipe? I'm not set up for all-grain but I can partial mash up to 6-7 lbs of grain at a time. This would be scaled down to three gallons. Any thoughts?

90 % pils
10% carahell
1.057 sg
styrian goldings at 25 IBUs bittering-
wyeast roeselare blend
this is the recipe i use for a flanders pale that i think i got from wild brews. pretty simple and blends nice. if you repitch on used roeselare cake, it gets sour pretty quick.

Very cool, thank you! I think going this route will give me several options- 1) 1 gallon can be pasteurized and added to existing batches of 'regular' beer, 2) the entire three gallon batch can be combined with another beer, or 3) unpasteurized 1 gallon batches can be used to 'infect' larger batches. Are these assumptions mostly correct?

sure - you have many different blending options- i don't know many who pasteurize- you can cold crash and rack, most want their bottles to develop with age- you can also move onto fruit or backsweeten with non fermentable sugar substitute. 3 gallons also gives you a nice yeast cake and the roeselare mix gets successively more sour with each re-use...

As a suggestion, why not take a gallon of your next beer (preferably low hopped), and put it in one of the one gallon jugs and add the dregs from a couple of sour beers.

Back