Looking fir help to build a masher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm getting bored with extract kits. And the spring is here! I went and purchased a 10 gallon Gatorade type water cooler. I'm looking for what I need to turn into a masher . I've looked on YouTube but I can't find a good video on the stuff I need to buy.
And is there a good video on how to do an all grain brew with just one 10 gallon cooler? I have a lot of questions about how to do brew an all grain. Honestly I'm kinda scared that I will mess it all up

i just built one. they are pretty easy to make!!! you need a toilet supply hose. when you get it cut the ends off of it and then i tie wrapped to a pipe and then i ran the pipe to a turn off and on valve and then i silconed everything up. lookup on you tube taking some advice. that is where i learned how to do it!!! i forgot the other end tie wrap shut!!!

Type " Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion" into the search. That's what I went with when I made mine.

It's very easy, here is a pic of my old brass setup and my new ss setup. The washers are just plain fender washers except the one on the inside should be stainless. Just go to a local hardware shop to make sure they fit around the 3/8 nipple

Just get a 1 1/2” nipple to go through the cooler and 6 or so fender washers.. One cooler I did needed 4 the other needed 5 so it's a fit as you go thing

ForumRunner_20120407_151946.jpg

ForumRunner_20120407_152004.jpg

ForumRunner_20120407_152022.jpg

Musky01 said:
It's very easy, here is a pic of my old brass setup and my new ss setup. The washers are just plain fender washers except the one on the inside should be stainless. Just go to a local hardware shop to make sure they fit around the 3/8 nipple

Just get a 1 1/2” nipple to go through the cooler and 6 or so fender washers.. One cooler I did needed 4 the other needed 5 so it's a fit as you go thing

This is great ! Could you give me a list of everything I need and size's?
And the steps to do an all grain brew.

Yeah, I'm not home right now but I believe the wiki had a parts list on it. My brain makes way more sense of a picture then a parts list but I would be happy to pm you what you need when I get home if interested.

Just built mine. I already had a 5 gallon cooler laying around. I bought a 1/2" CPVC ball valve, 1/2" short nipple and a 20" water line connector with a stainless steel braid. ~$12

Cut one end completely of the water line connector and just through the brain on the end with the 1/2" fittting. Slide the braid off. Cut a series of diamond shaped notches in the poly tube of the line and the l2" from the end away from the fitting. Slide the braid back over the polytube and tie wrapped it in place and pinched off the end. Pulled out the spigot on the cooler. Thread the nipple into the ball valve and slide an O-ring on. Put the nipple through the hole. From the inside I reused the old seal washer and threaded the 1/2" fitting on the end of the braid. Crank it down tight and check for leaks.

How do I do a mash with just one cooler? Is that possible or do I need two?

Just one is enough. Most recipes call for a single infusion mash which requires holding the grain at a particular temperature, usually about 150-155F, for an hour. Recipes that call for various temperature rests can be tweaked to use a single infusion technique.

You can batch sparge easily with these coolers. Sparging is essentially rinsing the grains to "rinse out" more of the sugars. After you mash and drain the wort, you fill the cooler back up with water, stir, let it rest for a few minutes and drain, or in brew-speak, lauter. It's really pretty easy.

I'd recommend using a good brewing calculator or software to aid the the water temperature and volume calculations. I like Beersmith, but there are other software tools available.

Pie_Man said:
Just one is enough. Most recipes call for a single infusion mash which requires holding the grain at a particular temperature, usually about 150-155F, for an hour. Recipes that call for various temperature rests can be tweaked to use a single infusion technique.

You can batch sparge easily with these coolers. Sparging is essentially rinsing the grains to "rinse out" more of the sugars. After you mash and drain the wort, you fill the cooler back up with water, stir, let it rest for a few minutes and drain, or in brew-speak, lauter. It's really pretty easy.

I'd recommend using a good brewing calculator or software to aid the the water temperature and volume calculations. I like Beersmith, but there are other software tools available.

I'm very confused now! Lmao... Do I just keep reusing the same water to rinse?

Latest posts

Back