Did i stress out my yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I cultured a very small amount of yeast from a 250 ml san pellegrino bottle of home brew. It is a belgian ardens yeast, i started it in about 4 cups of wort and you barely see the yeast in the wort. It did grow to cover the bottom quite well after a few day. It never took off though never any krausen. I moved then to half a gallon starter and its been there for 1 week now. there is a good layer on the bottom but it never krausened. when i give it a swirl it foams up like beer would.

it is not on a stir plate i just swirled it when ever i walked by. Would i be good to use this yeast or does it seem a little suspicious?

Thanks everyone

Andrew

1photo.JPG

So long as you've got more yeast now than you started with, you should be ok. I generally try to start them off in half a liter if I'm starting from a bottle, but I don't think you could have stressed them too much with a full quart. If you want to assure yourself a little you could take a gravity reading of the wort in the big starter now and I'll bet its dropped nicely. As long as the yeast are eating the sugars and multiplying, you should be good to go!

Back