Rubber IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfDoom

Reaction score
Pitched an IPA onto the yeastcake of a Fat Tire clone last night and this morning it filled the airlock. Was rigging a blowoff system and without thinking pushed a #6 stopper right through the neck of my 6.5 gallon carboy where it disappeared, I'm assuming to the bottom.

My question is will this impart a rubber taste into my IPA, should I just dump this batch or ride it out and see what happens; not to mention having to fish that stopper out after I rack.

P.S. Pitching onto a yeastcake is the sh_t, never even worried about a blowoff with a 6.5 gallon carboy before; within 11 hours was putting one on.

The stopper might impart a slight rubber flavor, but this should hopefully dissapate out over time. I highly reccomend using carboy caps...they're much more versatile, and you dont have to worry about them falling into the carboy.

Hey mmditter, any words of wisdom on the rubber stopper ale? :D

:D Last night, I was racking my ESB from primary to secondary. I put the stopper on my 5gal carboy . . . applied pressure . . . and "pop" . . . down in to the beer which I had just dry-hopped. :mad:

SWMBO laughed her a$$ off and I sat there embarrased. Seeing this thread made me lol because I know I am not the only one dumb enough to do this. :p

Fearing off-flavors, I reracked the beer, losing most of my dry hops. Getting the stopper out of the carboy was a b1tch! I ended up cutting through one side of it (to make it less rigid) wedging a screwdriver into the hole and prying it out. I put a but of rubber where the mouth of my carboy met my prying screwdriver - just to protect my carboy from scratches.

sonvolt said:
:D Last night, I was racking my ESB from primary to secondary. I put the stopper on my 5gal carboy . . . applied pressure . . . and "pop" . . . down in to the beer which I had just dry-hopped. :mad:

SWMBO laughed her a$$ off and I sat there embarrased. Seeing this thread made me lol because I know I am not the only one dumb enough to do this. :p

Fearing off-flavors, I reracked the beer, losing most of my dry hops. Getting the stopper out of the carboy was a b1tch! I ended up cutting through one side of it (to make it less rigid) wedging a screwdriver into the hole and prying it out. I put a but of rubber where the mouth of my carboy met my prying screwdriver - just to protect my carboy from scratches.
I don't feel quite so bad now. Yea I'm not looking forward to getting that friggin stopper out. Yes I sat there and called myself a ******* for several minutes, even had to ask SHMBO, "am I friggin stupid or what?", she didn't answer right away. So I'm gonna have a homebrew and relax.

I think i'm gonna leave it be see how it does; I'll call it Rubber Tire IPA. Man it is still pushing Krausen out the blow off.

Latest posts

Back