Fermentation Chiller Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanOmite

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a larger cooler to ferment my beer in (I live in AZ now, so the temp is hard to control). I am going to make a hole for the airlock and maybe place a few freezer packs in the cooler to keep the temp down. Nevertheless, I would like to be able to read the temperature from the outside, so I don't have to take off coolers lid.

So, my question is: do you know of any affordable thermometers that will read the temp of the beer and display it on another surface that can reach outside of cooler?

I don't want the reading of the ambient temp inside the cooler, just the beer itself. I would like think one of the those thermometers that stick to the side would work well, but to see the temperature reading I have to open up the lid and take the beer out, which I want to avoid.

I am tired of doing the wet t-shirt routine and running my fan all day. I have also kept my fermenter in a tub of cold water, but I had to changed the water and add ice throughout the day to keep up with the heat. While both methods worked fine, it required too much of my time.

Thanks in advanced!

Well even the fermometers that you stick on the side of the carboy don't take the exact temperature of the beer. The only way to get the true beer temp is to have a thermometer submerged in it.

I think your best bet is to get a wireless temperature probe. I got one at Home Depot a while back for monitoring my mash temps while I was away from my brewery. You would stick the probe inside the cooler and then place the digital receiver somewhere on the outside. Just figure that while the beer is vigorously fermenting it could go 5-10 degrees higher b/c of the exothermic reactions.

Back