Cutting the tops out of my keggles....what to do?, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppopotomus

Cedar Hollow Brewing
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start converting my 3 SS Kegs into keggles. I have just started reading various threads about keggle conversions. I plan on ordering the weldless site glass/thermometer combos throug Bobby M and whatever other weldless fittings I can get through him. What I can't get through him I'll get from bargainfittings.com. I'm still not quite sure what direction to go in regards to cutting the tops of the kegs. I found a guy that will cut the tops out with a plasma cutter for $10 each, which seems like a good price. The problem is that I am reading some threads where people have had major issues with slag adhering to the inside of the kegs, the gas discoloring the SS, and rusting issues at the cut line. It sounds like it can be a royal pain in the a$$ to clean up after this, even when water is put in the keg prior to cutting.

I have a little dremmel tool, but in talking to other people....it would eat through 20 of their cutting wheels and take forever to get the job done. My question is....should I invest in a decent angle grinder, build a jig, and use a cutting wheel or just pay to have this guy cut them and deal with the clean up after the fact? Any wise words of wisdom would be great. Thanks! :mug:

Yep, I went the cheap grinder and discs and forget the jig... its easy and quick!! Get a flap wheel for your grinder as well and cleaning up the sharp edges is easy!

I just recently did this. I cut my first one with a grinder and jig and it went okay. The next day I went to my buddy's shop to do some welding and decided to cut the tops off the other 2 with his plasma cutter. No issues at all, and very fast. I don't see why rust would be an issue, there is no other metal being introduced to make the stainless rust. I came home cleaned them up with a grinder and some sand paper and they are great. No issues with slag or discoloration. Personally, I'd rather pay $30 to have someone else do it than deal with the grinder, but that's just me. I like DIY, but sometimes for me it's just faster to pay.

Whichever method you use to cut the tops, fill each of them with about 3 gallons of water to stop slag from adhering to the bottom.

+1

I did my own with a grinder and the jig. I had the PVC and just notched it out for my handle to fit in then used a zip-tie to hold it to the grinder (which I already had), very easy and pretty fast.

I would think in the long run you would use a grinder for more things you will be doing, especially if you keep reading this DIY forum.

Good luck, with the water in the keg your good to go either way.

Yeah, I think I am going to need a decent angle grider anyway with future projects, so I'll probably go that route. I'm working on the drop ceiling in my basement right now and have the green light from my wife to start my single tier AG build once the basement is 100% complete. She was a little pi$$ed off when I put the basement project on hold to build my keezer a few months back, so I don't want to rock to boat by starting another brewing related build until it's complete and she's happy.

I haven't welded in 20 years, but have an old Miller Arc welder that my grandpa gave me sitting in my dads pole barn. I'm sure my beads are not going to be pristine once I start welding the tubular steel together, so I'm going to need the grinder anyway to clean up my welding messes. :eek:

Hey Bobby.....are you carrying any other weldless fittings besides the site glass combos yet?

+1 on the grinder. The last one I did was less than 5 minutes. It came out very clean.

I used a plasma cutter with my BK and had no issues with either slag, rusting or discoloring...

Any rust or discoloring could probably be solved with a quick scrubbing w/ Bar Keepers Friend...

YMMV...

Took the grinder to mine which turned out a lot easier than I had thought it would be. Taking my time to get a good clean cut, it only took maybe 20 minutes.

my experience with plasma is very dirty ugly cuts. yeah its faster, but not as clean as a grinder, with a lot of clean up.

get a grinder, thing cut off wheels, build jig. put water in keg, go slow and light just scoring the keg, repeat the slow and light thing until you cut through. this will yield a very clean nice looking cut with very little clean up required.

-=Jason=-

Angle grinders are great, versatile tools. Consider this route.

I think $10 per cut with the plasma cutter is a great deal, too. But I consider almost every DIY endeavor an opportunity to buy a new tool.... this would be one of those moments for you. When opportunity comes a knockin.... answer!

Thanks guys. I'm going to need an angle grinder anyhow once I begin welding my rig, so I'll just put the $30 that the welding shop was going to charge me towards a decent grinder. I have had terrible luck with cheap harbor freight tools in the past, so will likely purchase something of better quality. The last tool I purchased from them was a $30 18v cordless drill, which made it maybe a week. I bumped into my work bench and it fell to the floor. It cracked the cheap plastic housing and the battery casing cracked as well and fell apart. I tend to be a little rough on tools, so I hesitate to buy Harbor Freight tools that will get a lot of use.

Hey Passedpawn....what brand do you recommend to use with your jig design? Most of the Dewalts, Makitas, etc. seem to have side mounted handles and I haven't come across one with the ability to change the handle, so it attaches to the back of the grinder head. Admittedly, I have only done a quick HD and Lowes search so far, so I'll keep looking.

Thanks again guys! :mug:

I've got a Bosch I like. Dont think I can mount the handle on the back, but I've never wanted to either. I usually use it without. Get a toolbox to keep it all in as a kit. The wrench, all the disks, much easier. Just like the brewing, organization will set you free.

I've had my $20 HF grinder for 7 yrs and have done 10 keg tops and high shine polishing as well as many other projects...still chuggin' along. Great purchase and would happily purchase another if it blew up tomorrow.

I dont know why but hf grinders hold up. I will be the first to say hf isnt for professionals but it has its place. I have 3 grinders now because they keep getting "borrowed" all 3 still running strong and all of them have definitely had the crap kicked out of them.

Thanks for the feedback guys....maybe I won't rule out the HF grinders just yet. I may swing by HF this weekend to check them out. I have a HF about 25 minutes from my house, so I'll check them out. Admittedly, I have never owned a HF grinder, just several cordless drills and a palm sander, which did not hold up well. I guess for the price, if you can get a few years out of them, it may be worth it. Thanks again. :mug:

Back