Very long fermantation with first brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHerc

Reaction score
Here's the deal, I treated myself to a TrueBrew Brown Ale kit. Everything went fine with the kit. After 7 days in the fermenter, I take a gravity reading which was 1.022. Almost no activity in the airlock. The recipe called for a 1.012-15 for FG. So I take another reading the next day and get the same result. Today is day 11 in the fermenter and the gravity is 1.020 and the airlock is actively bubbling again. The beer looked and smelled good to me. What is the deal? It seems that my first batch of beer is fermenting twice. It doesn't sound right to me. Do I just need to have more patience and let the process run it's course? Thanks fellas.

BrewHerc

Sounds like you had a stuck fermentation and "something" got the yeast working again. Did you move the fermentor around and get the yeast roused off the bottom? Did the temperature of the fermentor increase, waking some yeast up?

When in doubt, wait. I leave my batches alone for the first two weeks and then check gravity. Beer is really simple like that.

I did move the bucket from the front of my gun safe. I guess that could have done what you said with the yeast. After reading up on some of the other threads I think I need to relax and give it time. I sure wish I had some homebrew to relax with!!

Dont be so anxious. As newbies we all are but you should let your beer age to get the full potential of brewing. Read the forum religiously and can you find many different strategies such as 1-2-3 and many others. You should ferment for at least 3 weeks in primary / secondary (optional) and at least 3 weeks in the bottles. My 3rd batch was 7 days old on Sunday and it is a brown ale as well and my gravity was 1.020 as well. I had 0 airlock activity throughout all of fermentation same as with batch #2 which was bottled on Sunday. Wait another week, take a gravity reading and see whats going on.

My other recommendation to you is to get another primary so you can do multiple batches. You will build up your pipeline in no time and be all set. I am currently planning my kegerator setup ;) I guess I got the itch....

Thanks Piv, the whole patience is a virtue holds true I guess. I'll give another full week and then take another reading.

Back