forgot to purge keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
racked my brew, sealed it tight, set my psi to carbonate. forgot to purge the excess from the keg for about 5 hours. just now quickly went and purged. is this bad? will it have any effect on my brew? whats the longest amount of time i could have waited before problems would occur? thanks...

It will be fine. The co2 is heavier so even if there is a heap of o2 in there it will be at the top of the keg and the Co2 providing a nice protective blanket on top of the brew.

I didn't purge my first keg. I also didn't get around to it for several weeks and it took several more weeks to finish it. I noticed no oxidation until the very end and it was minimal.

You both are likely fine but if you have worries or doubts consume it in a reasonable time-frame. Oxidation takes quite a bit of time.

cool, im thinkin 5 hours wont have much of an effect then. plus, this is a levitation ale clone (4.4% abv), so this will be consumed quickly. anybody actually ever experienced some oxidation when forgetting to purge?

sometimes i like to "cheat" by letting my beer oxidize in the secondary for a half-week prior to transfer. it may only be the RIS talking, but i swear it speeds the conditioning time! and realize that the 5 gallons does die within 14 or so days when i break the security seal. :)

Back