Roger Protz comments on my RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Well, it's not an in depth crit or anything, but it was nice of him to write anything at all. I saw Roger Protz at a tutored tasting again this year at the Great British Beer Festival and decided to bring him a bottle of my Russian Imperial Stout, Caligula, brewed earlier this year. I arrived at the tasting early, so went up to the front, gave him the bottle and we chatted for a few minutes. Very nice fellow.

I put my e-mail address on the label and asked him if he could send me any comments if he had the time. And he did today.

He wrote:

Sensational -- loved it. As a good as any commercial brew. Rich roasted grain and chocolate malt character balanced by spicy hops.
Take care in those wild places.

I've been homebrewing a long time and already know we can make beer as good any commercial beer. But it was nice of him to write anything at all and I appreciate it. There aren't many people around here that know anything about beer, so it was a chance for me to give one of my beers to someone who actually knows what he's drinking.

Anyway, success! Thanks to Roger Protz for commenting. If you're a homebrewer and don't know who he is, you should Google him.

Congratulations! It's always nice to get good feedback from someone who knows.

I have never heard of him, but the book sounds intriguing. I'll have to look him up.

Back