What Hops to use in Spotted Cow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanmcnulty

Reaction score
I have been searching for an all-grain Spotted Cow recipe. Most of the recipes I have found are for extract or partial-mash. I have gathered the grain I am going to use from these recipes: pale two-row, Vienna, flaked barley and corn, and some Crystal 20L.
It seems to not have a strong hops aroma, and from looking at the recipes, it looks like bittering hops out weigh the finishing hops 3 to 1, roughly. My problem is figuring out which hops to use. The recipes include Hallertauer, Tettnang, Crystal, and Saaz. It looks like Saaz might be the finishing hops. Does it matter which bittering hops I use?
Thanks

I like Spotted Cow; my attempt at a clone used Columbus @ 60 min & Sterling (considered a good sub for Saaz) @ 15 min. While it didn't taste exactly like the Cow; it was close & tasty. I also used 2-row, Vienna, 20 L, flaked corn & flaked barley.

I like Spotted Cow; my attempt at a clone used Columbus @ 60 min & Sterling (considered a good sub for Saaz) @ 15 min. While it didn't taste exactly like the Cow; it was close & tasty. I also used 2-row, Vienna, 20 L, flaked corn & flaked barley.

That sounds great. So I'll use Saaz or Sterling. I have read that they use Wyeast Kolsch yeast. I like to use Fermentis yeast. Would Safbrew T-58 be a good substitute?

That sounds great. So I'll use Saaz or Sterling. I have read that they use Wyeast Kolsch yeast. I like to use Fermentis yeast. Would Safbrew T-58 be a good substitute?
I used K-97 which I had read someplace was a good substitute Kolsch yeast. I believe that is why mine tastes a little different. Next time I brew this I think I am going to try a Wyeast Kolsch yeast. But; I wouldn't hesitate to use K-97 again. I have never used T-58, so I can't comment on that.

Yeah, maybe I should use the Wyeast too. I brew 2.5 gallon batches. Do you think I would need to make a starter for the Wyeast?

Thanks for helping out. I'm going to try the Wyeast. I think I'll talk to the LHBS.

To check about the starter, check Mr Malty's calculator. I did a quick guess/check on your beer, and you probably won't need a starter. Try to keep the temperatures down if you really want to get close to the Spotted Cow flavor. You'll love the Kölsch yeast.

To check about the starter, check Mr Malty's calculator. I did a quick guess/check on your beer, and you probably won't need a starter. Try to keep the temperatures down if you really want to get close to the Spotted Cow flavor. You'll love the Kölsch yeast.

Hey, thanks. I just got back from the LHBS. The owner didn't trinket I would need a starter either. Quite a bit more expensive than the Fermentis. So what. I'm glad you said I would love the Kolsch yeast. I'm excited about it. I have been brewing a lot of pale ales trying out different hops, but I was using US-05 exclusively. Nice to try something different. I appreciate your help.

Check post #33 for all grain recipe, and #22 for extract. That thread is pretty good reading, but briefly:

Wyeast Kölsch 2565 is the yeast they use (they being New Glarus)
Hops, I don't know but I wouldn't use any finishing hops on that beer if you want a real clone. Knowing Dan Carey, I bet he is using a noble hop for a single bittering charge. I chose Hersbrucker, though it doesn't matter much.

P.S.- The beginning of that thread is garbage, it got Zombified this past April and I started contributing to it.

Okay, Here is what I have. I tried to match the gravity, color, and IBU's of those other recipes. I already bought the Vienna, so that is what I'm using. I also didn't know the difference between Mittelfrueh and Hersbrucker. I have Mittelfrueh. I also bought Saaz, but I'm not using them based on this other information. If anyone else has ideas, I'm open to them.

3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.25 %
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 18.42 %
0.75 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 13.81 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 9.21 %
0.18 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.31 %
0.53 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.60 %
Bitterness: 18.2 IBU
Est Color: 4.8 SRM Color: Color

Looks good to me. If you wouldn't mind, can you post about it with your notes and stuff int hat other thread. I know a bunch of us are working toward a winner in their and it would be great to have your feedback about this recipe.

Looks good to me. If you wouldn't mind, can you post about it with your notes and stuff int hat other thread. I know a bunch of us are working toward a winner in their and it would be great to have your feedback about this recipe.

No problem. Makes more sense there anyway.

Back