First partial mash--Critique appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrystephens

Reaction score
I am trying my first partial mash, please give me any guidance you can.

I originally posted this on the grain form but got no response, so I am posting here.

I am aiming for a light session beer.

2 pounds 2 row
1 pound flaked corn
1/2 pound instant rice

I mashed this in 2 gallons at 155 to 149 degrees for 60 minutes

I then drained it into a colander which it filled to the brim. I then recirculated the wort back into the boiling pot. I then sparged with one gallon of water at 170 degrees, ending up with 2 gallons of wort with gravity of 1.034.

I added

1 pound of pilsner Briess pilsner LME
1 pound of dextrose
1 oz cascade pellets

Then I boiled 45 minutes and added

1 pound pilsner Briess pilsner LME
1 tsp Irish Moss

At the end of boil I added 1/2 oz Cascade pellets.

I then dumped it onto yeast trub (Saflie 05) from an extract batch that just went to secondary.

Ended up with a little more than 6 gallons with an SG of 1.034

As long as you cooled it down before dumping on to the yeast you are making beer. Sounds like you are on the right track to having fun with the process. Good luck & enjoy. Congrats :)

sounds like it should be ok.

what was the wort temp at the time of "pitching"

i hope the yeast are still going strong. a bit of yeast energizer might be a good idea.

with an OG that low, you are aiming for about 3.3% ABV right? That's even a bit weak for a session beer but it still counts.

i realize you must be going for a lighter beer here but pilsner LME, 2row, corn and rice is going to be a very one note flavor. I might have subbed the sugar for more LME or another grain.

let us know how it turns out.

sounds like it should be ok.

what was the wort temp at the time of "pitching"

i hope the yeast are still going strong. a bit of yeast energizer might be a good idea.

with an OG that low, you are aiming for about 3.3% ABV right? That's even a bit weak for a session beer but it still counts.

i realize you must be going for a lighter beer here but pilsner LME, 2row, corn and rice is going to be a very one note flavor. I might have subbed the sugar for more LME or another grain.

let us know how it turns out.

Temperature was a little high, 85 degrees. I usually cool my 4 gallon pot in an ice chest, but didn't have any ice so I just added cold water. I have converted a keg to a boiling pot, but need to add a spigot and figure out some type of chiller, but for now I boil 2-3 gallons and add water. The beer I have made so far is to my liking.

I not only put the wort onto the trub of a prior batch, but also added yeast from a secondary that I just kegged. The ferment took off like a banchee but has slowed now, will rack to secondary in a few days.

At 85 degrees the yeast will be fine. They may put off some off flavors because of the higher temp, but your still going to make beer. I like to pitch ale yeast at around 62 degrees. After the process gets going the temp rises and settles at a nice 66 degrees.

Back