V-Vessel Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I know this has been brought up before and I know that some of you have these, so would anyone care to give me a review on it? I'm considering it to make my life a bit easier. I didn't see any reviews on this in the review section of the forum. Thanks!

http://www.vvessel.com/

Looks cool, but they offer almost nothing in the way of information on their website. That kind of turns me off a bit.

Dan

Here is a noob question about something like that. How would removing the trub at the bottom of the cone effect a brew that is using lager yeast? I was just wondering since I know that lager yeast does its thing at the bottom. Is there a chance that you could have problems carbonating bottles because you have removed too much yeast from the beer, understanding that you could always rack into a bottling bucket and repitch, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of buying the thing in the first place.

Does anyone know how much this thing costs? It seems cool and an easy way to save space if you have the ability to hang it on the wall. Of course, it would be pretty difficult to control the temperature for lagering.....unless you mounted it inside a cooler or freezer.

Meyer817 said:
How would removing the trub at the bottom of the cone effect a brew that is using lager yeast? I was just wondering since I know that lager yeast does its thing at the bottom. Is there a chance that you could have problems carbonating bottles because you have removed too much yeast from the beer...
Racking your beer off the trub accomplishes the same thing as dumping the trub out of a conical - it keeps the beer away from a large quantity of bitter/nasty material and hungry yeast that will begin to eat itself (autolyze), resulting in off flavors. In either case, there will be enough yeast suspended in almost any homebrew to achieve proper carbonation (unless you filter).

Anybody have any thoughts on the V-Vessel? http://www.homebrewit.com/v-vessel-fermenter.php

If I were to get this, what else would I need to get started? Brew Kettle, hydrometer, thermometer... what else?

I stopped using mine for beer as I moved up to 10+ gallon batches. I do use it for wine, which was the original purpose AFAIK.

In addition to the items you mentioned you'd want an immersion chiller at the minimum to achieve faster cooling for better hop flavor and cold break. Some sanitizer and various assorted other things. If you dump the yeast correctly you can bottle or keg directly from the V Vessel.

Latest posts

Back