Volume in secondary fermentor is low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
In making my first batch of Belgum Ale, I didn't notice that my primary plastic fermenting bucket did not have a 5 gallon mark. So, after pouring from the kettle to the primary I guessed where the 5 gallon mark should be. Not that it is in the secondary, the volume looks to be less than 5 gallons by maybe half a gallon or so.

My question is: when I make up the priming sugar solution, can I make up the volume difference then by using the amount of sugar that came with the kit but increasing the water to half a gallon instead of the 8 oz recommended?

Thanks,

Primary: Pilsner
Secodary: Belgum Ale
Drinking: Still drinking Store Stuff: :(

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. The place to make up volume is in the primary. Simple test, draw off 4.5 oz and add 1/2 oz. of water. Can you tell the difference?

My policy is, everything in the kettle (that makes it through the screen) goes in the primary. If it's a little low, I'll make it up. High, I don't worry.

Thanks David,
Another question then - since I'm less than 5 gallons, and the priming sugar packet is based on being added to 5 gallons, do I go ahead and use the whole packet or cut back a bit?

Seems like too much priming sugar would do two things: make a sweeter tasting beer and increase the amount of carbonation in the bottle. perhaps too much.

bill

Priming sugar won't make sweeter beer (unless you are drinking it before the stuff is ready) as it is completely fermentable. But yes, if you are anything over a liter or two (half gallon) short, then cut back the sugar a tiny bit so you don't get super-fizz. Unless you live somewhere where the air pressure is really low, in which case, oddly, you have to use a bit more sugar than at sea level.

Back