Good place to get beer gas in Raleigh/Durham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a place to get beer gas in the Raleigh/Durham area? I know there are a ton of homebrewers in the area, surely several of you have beer gas setups. I called friggin American Brewmaster earlier today and asked whether they filled up beer gas. The dude on the phone said yep. So then just to make sure, I asked if they did it on site instead of swapping out tanks and he said yep. So I drive my ass an hour over there to fill up my tank, get there and ask the same guy from the phone to fill it up with beer gas. He takes my tank and explains that he's not "certified" to fill it up yet and someone else will do it in a minute. So I start browsing the store and a few minutes later the guy come and tells me they can't fill it up because the connection is wrong. So I figured aww ****, they must use a CO2 style connection for their beer gas, but then the guy who is "certified" tells me they don't fill up beer gas there, but instead do cylinder exchanges and that they don't have any full cylinders. bless. "That's funny because when I called you said you filled up beer gas on premises." Then the guy who I talked to had the nerve to tell me I asked about CO2 on the phone. No buddy, sorry, I specifically remember asking for beer gas. And anyway, why the bless did you take my cylinder and tell me the other guy was going to fill it up if you don't fill up beer gas!

Sorry for the rant, but I just spent 2 hours in the fvcking car for nothing. Anyway, when I tried calling welding supply shops in the area before I decided to call American Brewmaster earlier, half of them had numbers that had been disconnected and the other half had muffled, inaudible messages stating that they were open monday to friday. So instead of wasting any more time driving around this week trying to find some place to fill up my damn cyclinder, can someone just tell me where they go please.

Distance: 12 miles
Name: Airgas National Welders
Phone: (919) 544-9699
Fax: (919) 544-4742
Address: 4808 Nelson Rd.,
Morrisville, NC 27560-8574
Facility Type(s): Branch
Retail Store

I'm going to get a tank when I can afford it from AirGas. The tank itself is the expensive part. I know they do swaps for CO2, they might for beergas, but just specify what you want, as in 25% CO2 75% Nitrogen mix. You could also do 25% CO2 and 75% Argon.

Cool, I saw that airgas location along with a few others when I was looking for welding supply shops in the area. I'll give them a call tomorrow (hopefully they arent closed for the holiday) and see if they can do the fill.

Distance: 12 miles
Name: Airgas National Welders
Phone: (919) 544-9699
Fax: (919) 544-4742
Address: 4808 Nelson Rd.,
Morrisville, NC 27560-8574
Facility Type(s): Branch
Retail Store

I'm going to get a tank when I can afford it from AirGas. The tank itself is the expensive part. I know they do swaps for CO2, they might for beergas, but just specify what you want, as in 25% CO2 75% Nitrogen mix. You could also do 25% CO2 and 75% Argon.

Called them. They only fill their own branded tanks for customers with an account with them. I guess I'll start calling all the other welding supply shops now.:( FML

This is probably a dumb question, but would Metro Fire and Safety do beer gas you think? That's where I get my CO2 filled. Just a thought, but I'm probably way off here.

This is probably a dumb question, but would Metro Fire and Safety do beer gas you think? That's where I get my CO2 filled. Just a thought, but I'm probably way off here.

That's where I get my CO2 filled as well. I just assumed they wouldn't have a N2/CO2 mix since it isn't used for fire extinguishers.

I finally found a place that would switch out my cylinder for a pre-filled one, went there and got everything switched out no problem. It's machine and welding supply company on east geer st. in durham. I'm a bit disappointed my shiny new cylinder got traded in for an old, ghetto-spray painted one, but at least I can serve nitro beers now.

I also live in Raleigh. I'm thinking of getting a new tank for xmas. Did you guys ever find a place that fills tanks locally or should I deal with the weight/rust and buy a steel tank?

Is a 20 cu ft tank enough?

Any other considerations that you didn't think of that you wish you had?

Latest posts

Back