Need help w/ Blackberry Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Hi All:

Below is a simple Blackberry wheat recipe that I'm planning on trying this sunday but am looking for some opinions on the recipe. What do you guys think? It seems like a lot of blackberries to me....

2lbs Carapils
6lbs DME

3.5 quarts (14 cups) Frozen blackberries (added after knockout)

1.5 ozHallatter hops (bittering)
.5 Saazhops (finishing)

1 tspIrish moss

Appreciate your input.

Thanks!

I'd say it's excessive, but I like my fruit wheats on the subtle side. Had a Strawberry Wheat yesterday that had so much strawberry in it, it was impossible to tell it was beer.

Just quickly estimating the weight....
2.5 quarts = 5 dry pints @ 8oz per pint = 40 oz / 16 oz per pound = 2.5 pounds of rasberries.

Also, all that sugar in the rasberries + 6 lbs of DME is a heck of a lot of fermentables...I'm not sure if the carapills and and hops will be enough to balance it out.

Am I off base here?

blackberries aren't very sweet and their flavor is very subtle, so the amount sounds right to me. The carapils is way too high, though. You'll end up with a very sweet final beer, I would imagine.

Also, all that sugar in the rasberries + 6 lbs of DME is a heck of a lot of fermentables...I'm not sure if the carapills and and hops will be enough to balance it out.
You generally want to hop fruit beers pretty low, I often see ~ 18 IBUs as the recommended amount, and I wouldn't bother trying to account for the fruit sugars in your calculations with the bitterness.

I'm not sure why you think carapils will help balance the raspberries, though.

Latest posts

Back