bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
i got three cases of old botles last week. They all had mold and dead flies in them. I let them soak for a few hours in a diluted bleach solution and then rinsed them with very hot tap water (burned my finger tips a whole bunch) and threw a bottle brush through them. With a eye inspection there was no more gunk inside of them. should this be sufficient for cleaning very dirty bottles or should i soak them again before sanitizing them (ive gota few weeks before bottling). Also should just filling with C-bright and drying the bottles be enough for sanitation or should i let them soak longer.

I hear alot of poeple hear use oxyclean for cleaning. I went to the grocery store the other day and the only oxy clean they had was clothes detergent. what exactly is the type of oxyclean you guys use and where can i get it?

Thanks alot

That is the right oxyclean. It is the powdered version that is advertised for laundry. If you look at the container it tells about other uses.

I've reused a lot of old, dirty bottles too. Always used bleach, just as you did, to clean them. My opinion... as long as they look clean (bright and shiny on the inside) they are clean.

You have a number of choices for sanitizing them. I have always used iodophor and have not had any problems with infection.

Cheers, Ken

You're all set...I've had some pretty funky stuff in bottles from time to time. The great thing about glass is it's easy to clean.
Happy bottling...if there is such a thing.

It sounds like you got them clean so you should be good to go. Just give each bottle a thorough inspection before you sanitize to be sure you didn't miss any gunk and you should be fine.

I recommend an overnight soak in bleach water to get the slugs out.

I have 2 bottle washers. I cut the small loop off of the end and place it in my drill. Leaving the water inside the bottles push the brush into the bottle and pull the trigger to scrub the insides.:D

thanks alot, im amazed at how fast everyone here answers to questions. very helpful

Latest posts

Back