Electric Boil Keggle Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I know there are thousands of threads on this topic and I've read so many I'm now just plain confused. I don't know if I want to do HERMS or RIMS eventually but what I definitely know is I want to do ALL ELECTRIC since I have plenty of experience with electricity and I want to brew indoors. I have one keg and will probably have a second in the next couple weeks. My question is on the boil kettle. I'd like to have a thermometer, obviously a bulkhead/valve, and a sightglass. Questions.

1. Where do most people place the three holes for the thermometer, sightglass and bulkhead?

2. Where do most people place the heating element?

3. Since it will be electric does it make sense to go through the bottom of the keg on any of the fittings (element and maybe bulkhead/valve)?

4. 1/2 NTP stainless fittings welded in require a 1.08" hole according to Stainless Steel NPT Pipe Fittings, Valves, High Pressure and Tube Fittings - 304 and 316 (for the thermometer and bulkhead/valve) 3/8" for the sightglass (Bobby M) requires .91" hole and the 1" fitting for the RIPP 5500W element requires 1.63" hole correct??

Sorry for the noob questions but I'd like to get this boil kettle rigged up while I wait for my extract batch to condition so I can go all grain on my next brew!!

Go through the side for the element and sight tube. Put the cord for the element coming out of the back and the sight tube coming out of the side or front.

Im going to put my ball valve coming out of the bottom, under a very small false bottom, but putting it out of the side is fine too.

Latest posts

Back