Something has changed and I can't figure it out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would appreciate some help/guidance here. First let me admit I am not a 'science' guy. I have absolutely zero training or experience in these things so it will be pretty easy for you guys to quickly go over my head. Now on to the issue at hand.

I have used Brun water for a couple of years now and, until recently, it has always been really close to my measured mash pH. But over the last 6 or so brews (from IPA's to Dunkels) the measured pH is significantly lower than predicted.

I'm going to hopefully give enough information here that so people smarter than me can give me some guidance. So bear with me please.

The only thing I could come up with that was in common to all 6 brews was the water. I use a RO system in my house and I thought maybe that was the problem. So today I bought 10 gallons of distilled water and brewed with that. The predicted pH was 5.4 and my measured pH was 5.2. I realize this is probably OK but I'm trying to find out what has changed.

I always calibrate the pH meter while the mash water is heating. I use 4.0 and 7.0 solutions. I thought maybe the solutions were old so I bought new ones 3 brews ago and nothing changed.

I cool the sample to 70 degrees (measured with a Thermapen) before measuring the pH.

My pH meter is less than a year old and is a Milwaukee MW102. I always store the probe in the storage solution.

I have even gone back and measured both of the calibration solutions after calibrating the meter to be sure it was reading correctly. It is, with a variation of about .01-.02 in the reading. I have even measured the temperature of the calibration solutions and calibrated at about 70 degrees.

Today I measured the S.G. of my phosphoric acid solution thinking it was the problem. The SG was 1.120 at 55 degrees. So that works out to about 20.495%. I have the Brun water spreadsheet set to 20%.

I have triple checked the Brun water grain inputs and color (L) inputs and the amount of mash water. I use BIAB so I only use the Mash portion and not the Sparge section. Since this has happened continuously over the last several brews I think that eliminates user input error.

I have also checked the scale I use for measuring water salts. I used a penny, a nickel and a quarter separately and they all measured correctly.

I don't have any 'old' versions of Brun Water but if that was the problem I figure I would see lots of others posting with the same problem but I don't see that.

As I said at the beginning I am not a science guy and with my limited knowledge have tried to logically go through my process and eliminate potential problems along the way. But I am missing something and would appreciate some input on what you think I should look into next.

Did you change brands of malt, or did your LHBS change brands?

I can choose which base malt to use at my LHBS. Over the last 6 brews I have used Briess (1) and Weyerman (1) wheat base grains. I have used Rahr (2) and Briess 2 row (2). Along with combinations of all of them. I can't be sure about the crystal malts though.

Is it the base malts or the crystal/roasted malts that is the biggest concern?

In the past (at least) Rahr base malt was found to have a noticeably lower DI mash pH than the others.

In the past (at least) Rahr base malt was found to have a noticeably lower DI mash pH than the others.

That went around a few years back and was widely accepted. A correspondent recently sent me some measurements on Rahr Pils (pHdi = 5.8) and Rahr Pale Ale (pHdi = 5.67). These are hardly out of line with other pale malts.

I would appreciate some help/guidance here. First let me admit I am not a 'science' guy. I have absolutely zero training or experience in these things so it will be pretty easy for you guys to quickly go over my head. Now on to the issue at hand.

I have used Brun water for a couple of years now and, until recently, it has always been really close to my measured mash pH. But over the last 6 or so brews (from IPA's to Dunkels) the measured pH is significantly lower than predicted.

I'm going to hopefully give enough information here that so people smarter than me can give me some guidance. So bear with me please.

The only thing I could come up with that was in common to all 6 brews was the water. I use a RO system in my house and I thought maybe that was the problem. So today I bought 10 gallons of distilled water and brewed with that. The predicted pH was 5.4 and my measured pH was 5.2. I realize this is probably OK but I'm trying to find out what has changed.

I always calibrate the pH meter while the mash water is heating. I use 4.0 and 7.0 solutions. I thought maybe the solutions were old so I bought new ones 3 brews ago and nothing changed.

I cool the sample to 70 degrees (measured with a Thermapen) before measuring the pH.

My pH meter is less than a year old and is a Milwaukee MW102. I always store the probe in the storage solution.

I have even gone back and measured both of the calibration solutions after calibrating the meter to be sure it was reading correctly. It is, with a variation of about .01-.02 in the reading. I have even measured the temperature of the calibration solutions and calibrated at about 70 degrees.

Today I measured the S.G. of my phosphoric acid solution thinking it was the problem. The SG was 1.120 at 55 degrees. So that works out to about 20.495%. I have the Brun water spreadsheet set to 20%.

I have triple checked the Brun water grain inputs and color (L) inputs and the amount of mash water. I use BIAB so I only use the Mash portion and not the Sparge section. Since this has happened continuously over the last several brews I think that eliminates user input error.

I have also checked the scale I use for measuring water salts. I used a penny, a nickel and a quarter separately and they all measured correctly.

I don't have any 'old' versions of Brun Water but if that was the problem I figure I would see lots of others posting with the same problem but I don't see that.

As I said at the beginning I am not a science guy and with my limited knowledge have tried to logically go through my process and eliminate potential problems along the way. But I am missing something and would appreciate some input on what you think I should look into next.

Do you have the supporter version of B'run Water.... have you been using updated versions.... maybe the updated versions are giving you predictions that are different from your past ones??

Do you have the supporter version of B'run Water.... have you been using updated versions.... maybe the updated versions are giving you predictions that are different from your past ones??

Yes I have the supporter version. I moved all of my recipes over to the newest version when I had a computer crash so I don't have access to any of the older versions like I used to. I renamed the files and deleted the old ones when transferring them to the new desktop.

I think if it were a Brun water problem other would be having the same issue and I don't see any evidence of that on this forum.

Keep the suggestions/questions coming!

In a different thread, Martin indicated that the very latest Bru'n Water predicts noticeably lower mash pH's for beers containing higher percentages of dark roasted grains and malts. This was done to bring his spreadsheet in line with measured data.

Yes I have the supporter version. I moved all of my recipes over to the newest version when I had a computer crash so I don't have access to any of the older versions like I used to. I renamed the files and deleted the old ones when transferring them to the new desktop.

I think if it were a Brun water problem other would be having the same issue and I don't see any evidence of that on this forum.

Keep the suggestions/questions coming!

Mine have been different on the few batches I have done with the latest updates.

If a new rev. of the software is common to these 6 brews I'd suspect that. Try a different program and see if these 6 come up out of line with your other brews.

If a new rev. of the software is common to these 6 brews I'd suspect that. Try a different program and see if these 6 come up out of line with your other brews.

I found a fellow brewer that has some older versions of Brun Water saved. I emailed him the grist bill, water additions and mash volume. He entered them into the newest version as well as an older version.

He emailed me screen shots and the results were almost exactly the same. The pH was exactly the same. The only difference was a minor one where the Calcium was off by .8 between the two programs.

The only thing I can see that I haven't tried/eliminated is that all 6 brews included Gypsum and Phosphoric Acid (I start with 100% RO water). I've double checked the Phosphoric acid strength but I don't remember if I bought Gypsum recently or not.

I'll order some more Gypsum (it's cheap). Put equal amounts of the new and old into some water and see if the pH is the same between the two. Will that work? Is that the best way to test that?

Other than that I'm open to other suggestions.

And I do appreciate the help here.

In a different thread, Martin indicated that the very latest Bru'n Water predicts noticeably lower mash pH's for beers containing higher percentages of dark roasted grains and malts. This was done to bring his spreadsheet in line with measured data.

I read that thread too. I believe that Martin says that in darker beers the estimated pH will be a little lower than the old version in beers with darker grains. I haven't brewed any stouts or porters and the problem I'm having is the estimated pH is higher than that what I am measuring.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

Latest posts

Back