My coffee is cold in 30 min

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogtailale

Reaction score
Why cool the yeast starter.

Why not just poor the 212dg mini beer into the flask put tinfoil over flask turn on stirplate and yeast in 60 min?

As long as the starter is cold enought when you pitch and its covered the whole time I dont see why not. Most of the mini-beer is discarded before you pitch anyways.

From like 90F up to 165ish is prime temps for beer spoilage organisms. The quicker you chill the starter and the quicker you get the yeast in it the better. Same applies for beer.

I think some people do it because they don't want DMS forming in the starter. This is really only a problem if you don't decant the starter before pitching.
For me I pour the boiling wort into the beaker and cover with foil. But I do put it in a water bath and add ice after 5-10 min.

Especially since being able to chill it as fast as you want is a great advantage of the borosilicate flasks.

Who wants to wait 30 minutes when you can be done making your starter and drinking beer in half that time by swirling it in a cold bath for a bit?

Priorities. ;)

I really dont want to wait the for the 60min plus. But in my case I was out of ice forgot to flip the stopper down. but the real thing is I live out in the sticks nearest store is 14 miles round trip. I didnt want to get ice.

Back