Ball Lock Keg, Pressure Check, and Infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewlicious

Reaction score
Here is the situation. I have two kegged beers. I primed both kegs and then hit them with 15psi for the purpose of sealing the lid. About a week later I used a bleeder valve (http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/bleeder.jpg) to check the pressure just to make sure I did not have any leaks.. The problem occurred when I put the bleeder valve on the IN connection. It did measure the pressure, which was fine, but it also kicked a little beer up through the IN connection. It’s no big deal on the outside but is there any possibility of this causing an infection on the inside. The other thing I was thinking is that I filled the keg a bit to full. So, if I did, what are the repercussions of this?

Thanks in advance,

The pressure differential that made beer come out, would make it hard for nasties to go in.

Yes, your keg might be a little too full, or the beer may have foamed a bit due to the pressure release. Either way, no big deal as long as you (a) have check valves on your CO2 lines to keep any backflow out of your regulator and (b) clean your gas lines if you suspect any beer got in them.

RDWHAHB :mug:

Back