Irish Car Bomb Stout (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a little frisky this batch (I've brewed it 2 times) and added 4ish shots of Baileys on the most recent batch when I was bottling and used 4 vanilla beans. I have everyone who tries it asking for more (this is the only stout my girlfriend will drink and she wants me to make it all the time). The only down fall of this batch is that it's kind of expensive. Also I know adding the Jameson during the secondary does nothing and I can add it during bottling but I've always done it that way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On a side note if you add some of the beer to a 1/2 block of velveeta cheese, stone ground mustard, some wisticher and cook it on the stove it makes amazing beer cheese. I recommend pretzel bread but whatever you have will work.

I am hoping to convert this to all grain soon when I upgrade my equipment.

If anyone has any feedback or questions on the recipe I would love to hear it. I am always editing my recipes and trying to improve them.

:mug::mug::mug:
corporate beer sucks

ICB.gif

can you export the beersmith file and upload it here as an attachment (use paperclip icon) so I can import it and take a look at what's going on with better detail? thanks!

Does that work for you?

My ABV is off on this file, I got 8.2 on my phone app.

Works!

I'm digging the idea...

Is the sugar to boost ABV in an extract partial boil (would you replace the sugar otherwise with grain had you the space?)?

Also, did you have any issues with carbonation in bottles? I'm wondering if the addition of the whiskey would prevent the yeast from being able to consume the priming sugar...

I'll play around with some conversion ideas and post it here later. Thanks for the share!

Instead of buying Bailey's and Jameson, you might try using Still Spirits flavorings. Although they're intended to be used in vodka to make various liquors and other spirits, they work quite well in beer and they're fairly cheap. My local homebrew shop sells them for about $5 a bottle, and each bottle is good for at least 2 batches. I use their chocolate cream flavor in my chocolate stout, and it tastes great.

The sugar was just to boost ABV. I'm a case in and I haven't had any carb issues with this batch and I haven't had any carb issues in the other 2. I'd love to get this in all grain but like I said before I unfortunately don't have the equipment at the time...insert sad face

HillSbrew79 I like the idea but I'm trying to get the flavor of the Baileys and Jameson. I want it to taste like you're drinking an Irish car bomb without taking the bomb. It's pretty damn close but I need to do some more tinkering. Damn looks like I need to brew more beer.

Their Irish cream flavor is similar to Baileys (at least close enough for the purpose of flavoring beer). They also sell a couple of different whiskey flavorings, which should approximate the Jameson. I just add the amount I want directly into my boiled priming sugar prior to bottling - no need to dilute with vodka beforehand.

Their flavorings tend to be pretty intense. If you're not quite getting enough flavor with your Bailey's/Jameson additions, you won't have that problem with the Still Spirits flavorings. Even half a bottle will nearly overwhelm a 5gal batch, hence the suggestion as an economical alternative

I might have to look into that. I haven't seen it at my local brew shop but if I ask the owner he will order it. If he can get it for me I'll brew another batch (after my IPA) and give an update. I appreciate the feedback!

Attached is my version of the all grain version.

I thought it appropriate to recategorize it under "Irish Stout" 15C of the 2015 BJCP Guidelines since you are trying for an "Irish" beer. Because of this change, some of the values are much lower (ABV, IBU, OG, etc). You could try and go beyond the original recipe values and make it an Imperial Irish Stout... but I don't know how drinkable it would be with the whiskey and vanilla.

Looking tasty!

View attachment Irish Car Bomb 11th Floor.bsmx

Back