Cracked Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriso77

Reaction score
So I'm trying not to panic since this is my first brew. I noticed a small crack in my airlock. It looks like its on the inside, so I don't think anything is leaking out. I am using a triple ripple airlock. All of the water is pushed to the opposite side of the crack.

Any advice?

I think you will be fine. It is my understanding that most beer-infecting type things can't crawl up and down and through things like airlocks.

Now just think how cool it will be to drink some of your homemade beer in a few weeks.

Also to be on the safe side, use Vodka instead of water in your airlock.(this will definitely kill all the badies):drunk:

It will probably be fine. I second the recommendation of using vodka in airlocks.

Is it ok if its that nasty Vanilla Stoli? Haha. I've got some leftover from a party that I've been waiting to be put to use. Not much of a fan myself, but if I can use it to save my beer, I'll appreciate it a lot more.

In the old days, people used open vessel fermentation.

The CO2 produced by the fermentation is heavier than air and creates a protective "blanket" over your beer. Fermenting beer is also very hardy stuff. Those yeasties are chewing up everything in sight.

A cracked airlock is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Oh...and I lke rum in my airlocks. Smells nice and the colored liquid is easier to see from a distance.

I once (or thrice) used apricot brandy in my airlock. The first time I used it I screwed up my pressing on the lid and it all sucked down into my bucket. Needless to say, it was my best RIS to date.

I've often thought of adding some to another batch of RIS on purpose but just don't know how much would be too much. I'd hate to kill the yeasties.

Back