Jack Daniels infused beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trid

Reaction score
so i'm not sure if anyone here has tried this or not. I was thinking of trying to make a Jack Daniels infused beer. by soaking Oak cubes in Jack Daniels for a week or so and then adding them to a Base beer. I was thinking maybe a Brown ale or a Stout of some sort. Just was curious if anyone here had any advice or even better has tried this in the past.

Thanks
Mathew Davis

We do it all the time.

Many of us on here have used these in beers quite often. I've used the same bag for years, a little goes a long way.

5176TQCRQBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Lately I've been steaming them in a small collander for 20 minutes, and then I soak them in a mason jar full of more jack for a week or two, then dump them bourbon and all into the secondary. And at 7 bucks for a huge bag, you get a lot of uses of them.

I've also been dry toasting them lately. I use one of my cast iron pans, get it hot, and then drop them in the pan and move them around for 5-15 minutes or so. They will darken, and toast up really nice. I've just been going by nose more than anything.

I do that, then steam and then soak in jack.

I soaked 1 oak spiral in about 5 oz of Makers Mark along with 2 Bourbon Vanialla Beans... I brewed up a malty Scottish Ale with some peated malt... I'm trying to mimic the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale :)

I'm not saying that the base beer is a scottish ale used by KBB, just thought it would be a good starting point.

I made a imperial oatmeal stout and soaked a bunch of oak chips in makers mark then put them into the secondary now I'm gonna let it sit for 3 maybe 4 months

I made a dark ale as a base for my Whiskely ale. All the while it was fermenting,I was soaking 4oz of medium toast French oak chips in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black. After a stable FG was reached,I racked it to secondary on top of the bourbon/oak mixture. I poured the mixture through a hop sack into secondary,then tied it off & dropped it in to rack on top of.
8 days later,it was pretty strong. I conditioned it 9 weeks & 6 days before fridging some for 2 weeks. That amount of time has been better for all my ales. It gives a thicker head,& carbonation to the bottom of the glass.
The whiskely ale def needed all that time to mature to the point where the malt & hops could shine through. So keep that in mind...these take some time to mature.

thank you all very much for the help. i didn't know they sold jack daniels wood chips will have to get some of them. now time to make a recipe for this weekend.

I just made NB Bourbon Oak Barrel Porter kit, but I used 16 oz of Jack Daniels instead of Makers Mark like they suggest. On brew day I added 2 oz of toasted oak cubes to the Jack Daniels, and then after two weeks I racked the beer from primary into secondary with the Jack and oak cubes as well. The base beer tasted great by itself and I plan on letting this one sit for 4 weeks on the oak cubes before bottling and giving away as Christmas presents.

We do it all the time.

Many of us on here have used these in beers quite often. I've used the same bag for years, a little goes a long way.

5176TQCRQBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Lately I've been steaming them in a small collander for 20 minutes, and then I soak them in a mason jar full of more jack for a week or two, then dump them bourbon and all into the secondary. And at 7 bucks for a huge bag, you get a lot of uses of them.

I've also been dry toasting them lately. I use one of my cast iron pans, get it hot, and then drop them in the pan and move them around for 5-15 minutes or so. They will darken, and toast up really nice. I've just been going by nose more than anything.

I do that, then steam and then soak in jack.

I hate to revive an old thread, but how much do you use in say a five or ten gallon batch? A half cup/5G or more?

Could you just put them in the corny at kegging time and go with it, or put them in a bag in the keg?

I would NOT put them in a keg...After a week of contact your beer will be puckerable and will need to age the oakiness out.

As to amount, I've just usually grabbed a handful and put em in a mason jar and cover with bourbon. I've never really measured.

I would NOT put them in a keg...After a week of contact your beer will be puckerable and will need to age the oakiness out.

As to amount, I've just usually grabbed a handful and put em in a mason jar and cover with bourbon. I've never really measured.

Do you still steam them?

I've also seen that there are chunks cut from the staves. I was thinking about getting a bag, maybe sanding down the sides to get to some fresh wood and using them.

It really depends. If I'm planning ahead, and decide to soak them for a month, then no, I don't bother steaming them. But if I just decide at the last minute to do this, then I will steam them, and when they're hot dump them directly into a mason jar with bourbon. I figure as they cool, and the pores in the wood shrink back down, it will help draw in the bourbon. So hopefully they'll infuse.

Back