Low starting gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
Just brewed a british bitter kit from NB.

Specialty Grains

* 0.5 lbs. Simpsons CaraMalt

Fermentables

* 3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
* 1 lbs. Golden Light DME

Boil Additions

* 1 oz. Kent Goldings (60 min)
* 1 oz. Kent Goldings (1 min)

If you choose dry yeast

* Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 57-70° F.

If you choose liquid yeast

* Wyeast #1098 British Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 64-75° F.

My starting gravity was a little low, however, around 1.030. I mixed the wort with the top up water very well before taking the reading, so that wasn't the problem. My only thought is that after I add the extract and extra water to the boil to top up the pot it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to get back to boiling. Could it be that the water that cooks off during this time causes me to have to add too much to top off the fermenter to five gallons, resulting in a low gravity?

Other thoughts?
Thanks

Unless you spilled extract on the floor, it's pretty much impossible to miss your gravity when making an extract brew. Check the gravity again because sugar doesn't boil off.

+1 on what I likestuff said.

It really takes a good 5 or more minutes of hard-core stirring to fully integrate the wort and top of water...and most of us don't set a timer and thoroughly mix it through. We think we mixed it enough after a few stirs, when in reality it takes quite a lot more.

Don't sweat it..if you followed the kit instructions to a "T" then you hit the right gravity. Your beer will be fine.

Edit I just ran the numbers through beersmith...it comes up as 1.034...so 1.030 is NOTHING to worry about. All is fine.

Back