White Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jurodan

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of ginger ale (it's actually my first batch of anything, really) Sunday. I have to admit that, yes, I did put some of it into a used Coca-Cola bottle (I was planning to bring it to a party on Friday) but I did sanitize it beforehand. Now, though, I'm looking at the bottle and there is a big white ring above where the ginger ale is. This doesn't seem to be the case with any of the other bottles I'm using. I'm about to crack one of the other bottles open to do a taste test... but I'm wondering what I should do with what I have.

Ironically, I don't have a camera, but I do have a camcorder, so I put a short vid of it on Youtube which you can see here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J3olwurEig]YouTube - White Ring[/ame]

Other things to note before you have to ask: yes, it is still carbonated. The bottle is VERY hard. No, I'm not sure why the line is above the ginger ale proper, there was no spill, the cap is still on, and if there IS a leak, I can't hear it from less than an inch away.

So, is that ring something I should be worried about?

Back