Do I need a d-rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pitched my 1.046 O-fest last week right at 48°F with Wyeast 2206. Then I warmed up my primary to 52°F to primary and it stopped at 1.017. Two days ago I let the kegger warm to 56°F and now it's down to 1.014.

If I get down to my terminal gravity of 1.010-1.012 at 56°F is there any reason at all to pull out my lager to basement temps (68°F) for a d-rest. I read that if you pitch cold and raise your temp for primary you can skip a d-rest and never have to leave the temp range keeping beer uber clean.

Have you tasted it? Even though it may not be necessary, I see no harm in letting it sit at your basement temps for a few days before bottling or kegging, that's how I do it.

My answer to this question is always, "if you ask about it you should do it." A d-rest is one of those things that won't hurt your beer to do it, and will help your beer if it needs it...So it is an almost foolproof "tool" to have in your bag of tricks, whther or not your beer actually needs it or not.

It will insure, that if your beer has a diacytle problem, that you give the yeasts a chance to clean it up. If you don't do it, and your beer needs it, then that insures that you will have butterbeer......

:D

Do you need a d-rest? Depends. Are you a d-bag?

Srsly, I've never had problems with diacetyl, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that I pitch cold. However, I always warm my lagers up towards the end of fermentation (at the first sign of it starting to slow down), just to make sure they attenuate out all the way. I find that many lager strains get lazy when they hit ~1.020 and need to be kick-started by upping the temps into the 60's for at least a few days.

Do you need a d-rest? Depends. Are you a d-bag?

peewee.JPGcommand%3DGetPreview&library%3DPhoto%2BArchive&RecID%3D1081018&Filename%3Dpeewee%20%282%29.jpg

"And what's the word for the day kiddies??? D-bag!!!! Can you say it with me? Deeeeeee Baaaaag!"

Sorry pete, he's not calling you one, we've just been throwing that word around the kid rock thread today.:mug:

Latest posts

Back