Keggle coming along

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've got a few more loose ends to tie up before I'll be boiling 10gal batches, but here's the progress. I stripped the paint off, sanded with 220 grit, then wet sanded with 400. Finally hit it with a little Brasso to bring out the shine.

Next I put a worn out cutting wheel in my angle grinder (smaller diameter) and went at the top:

keggletop.jpg

I then checked my hole saw collection and was bummed to find I didn't have a 1" bit. I huffed it the home center and bought one only to find out that it makes a pretty sloppy hole that ends up being about 1-1/16" which made for a sloppy fit in the coupling. I reverted back to a 7/8" and just had to do a tiny bit of filing to make it fit snuggly. By the way, use a bimetal hole saw.

I finally found a local shop that welds stainless. He quoted me $50 which was about twice what I was hoping to spend, but he agreed to stop everything and do it while I waiting.

keggle.jpg

Obviously the top one is for a thermo and the bottom for a ball valve. I sprung for a full bore all stainless ball valve and hose barb so I'm all stainless until I put the copper dip tube in that is.

My total cost so far:
$36 Scrap yard keg
$7 couplings, nipple, hose barb
$9 ball valve
$50 welding labor

$102 and I just need to buy the dial thermometer. I guess I'm still ahead over buying one.

Couldn't you just get a weldless assembly for the ball valve and thermo? I'm curious as I am thinking about making a keggle. Is there an advantage with welding?

Dan

I would have tried silver soldering it before paying $50. If you/we ever get silver soldering working, we'll never be at the mercy of welders to secure our fittings again.

Another advantage to silver soldering is that you can join dissimilar metals, like copper to SS.

I've got a link around for silver soldering somewhere.

i am in the process of doing the same thing to one of my keggles. i got the top off, but i need to sand down the rought edges left by the sawsall...then i need to make that hole for the weldless fittings. how does one do this....what does the bit look like that you use for this?

thanks

I could have used a weldless but when you consider having to buy two if you want a though-wall thermometer (not to mention the extra coupling for the outside, you're already into it for at least $30 plus shipping and still have two potential leak points. I know I could have continued to price shop for the welding etc, but the guys who quoted "about 25 bucks or so" are also the guys who told me to come back next week. I figured I was paying for having it done on the spot and not having to spend more money on gas.

I got the couplings and hose barbs from here: http://stores.ebay.com/KLG-Stainless-Inc Combined shipping makes the price rock bottom.

On cutting the holes. If you're doing a 1/2" coupling, use a 7/8" bimetal hole saw and then use a file (or dremel) to fine tune for a nice tight fit. The coupling measures .95" exactly but a 1" hole saw makes about a 1-1/8" hole due to slop.

If you're going weldless, a 1/2" nipple is actually .84" OD IIRC (doublecheck the tech drawing on Mcmaster.com) In that case, I bet a 3/4" hole saw would be the ticket. The whole drilling operation took 2 minutes per hole. Remember, low speed, high pressure with stainless.

Wow, those are some good prices. I am going to order probably 6 just to have extra for the future if needed. Thanks bobby!

Back