Recipe ideas needed with inventory on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikethepoolguy

Reaction score
Unforseen events have created some financial problems for me. I cannot afford to purchase supplies, software, or even upgrade my HBT account at this time. This is temporary, I dont want pity, just ideas.

Better times has left me with an inventory:

Plenty of:
Canada Malting Munich
Canada Malting 2-row
Bairds pale ale

Also:
3.9 oz. crystal 120
11.9 oz. crystal 60
24.5 oz. crystal 40
6.1 oz. Belgian biscuit
12 oz. special roast
16.7 oz carapils
16 oz. American Vienna
10.1 oz crystal 10
1.9 oz chocolate

Also:
4 lb. corn sugar
3 lb. extra light DME
3 lb. clover honey

Hops:
4 oz. Williamette 4.5AA pellets
2.5 oz. Hallatauer 3.9AA pellets

Yeast:
1 pack Nottingham dry
1 pack US-05 dry
Wyeast 1272 in secondary with 5 gal. IPA on top of it.

Obviously I bought some of this stuff for a reason, but my notes are missing also, dont ask.
I do have about a 4 month supply of homebrew, so not all is lost.:mug:
Perhaps those of you with full fermentors can help me fill mine. Thanks

I made a decent Belgian Golden Strong Ale with just 80% base malt and 20% sugar. Don't be afraid of doing an all-base beer. Pale malt has a lot of flavor in it. Do long boils (90 min) and to get the most bittering of the hops.

...except no Belgian yeast in the inventory.

A solid ESB-like thing might be 90% pale ale malt and 10% crystal to 1.050, bitter to 30 IBU with Willy plus a 10 min add, ferment with Notty.

Fake alt: 1.9oz choc, Munich to 1.050, Hallertau to 25 IBU, US-05.

Blond ale: 90% 2-row or pale ale, 10% C-10/carapils, 15 IBU Willy, any one of your yeast strains. For cream ale, sub some malt out with sugar.

you could make a nice amber ale:

Baird's english pale ale
20% munich
all of the c-10
1/2 lb c-40
all of the chocolate malt
maybe 1/4lb of the special roast, if you like

Adjust base malt to get you into the 1.060 territory. Use 35 IBU of bittering hops, and 1 oz Willamette at 10 minutes.

I cannot afford to purchase supplies, software, or even upgrade my HBT account at this time.

The recipes above are interesting, so I won't suggest you another one. I can suggest you a free software you can use to calculate/adjust your batch:
Qbrew: http://www.usermode.org/code.html

The only particular thing you have to do is Options -> Configure -> Calculations -> Mash efficiency. To do it, just put one of your old batches in and rise the mash efficiency until you get the OG you got when you made the chosen batch.

Have fun! :mug:
Marcello

I'd do a brown ale:

8lbs 2-row
1lb Munich
8oz Crystal 40
8oz Biscuit
4oz Special Roast
1.9oz Chocolate

2oz willamette at 60
1oz willamette at 15
1oz willamette at flame out