Safety of glass bottles if careful?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I'm starting to brew root beer using 12 oz glass bottles. If you're careful and have some similar sized plastic bottles as testers, and then put in fridge when ready, have folks actually had bottles break or is this more of an urban myth.

I've had several people claim that have been brewing for years and never had a bottle break.

I really like the idea of glass and don't want to use plastic unless necessary.

Well, glass might be safe. IF you keep in the fridge. If you take it out, for a picnic or whatever, BOOM! is a real possibility. I guess it depends on whether you hate PET bottles (plastic soda bottles) enough to risk that. Glass shrapnel is no joke. If a plastic bottle blows up, it's a mess. If a glass grenade happens, someone could get seriously injured.

It DOES happen. All the time. That's why experienced soda makers (not the ones who keg- that's different) will use plastic.

If you are kegging, you don't use yeast so there is no risk of bottle bombs, and no problem with keeping bottles and kegs at room temperature. Incidently, there is no alcohol production either.

At room temperature, soda with yeast will produce small amounts of ethanol. That's another reason you refrigerate it as soon as it's carbonated- to not have alcoholic soda for the kids. I think naturally carbed soda is about 0.05% ABV if I remember correctly.

Back