New brewer but well studied

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLFcentralOH

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just started brewing a few months back, but I have been interested in it and studying it for nearly 2 years.

Its funny though, no matter how hard you study something sometimes you don't really learn things until you experience them.

The best example fresh on my mind is how different recipes/styles seem to mature or age and more importantly to the newbie how long it takes.

My first batch was a Irish red extract. I cracked open the first one after 6 days in the bottle...obviously not ready...a few days later still not...3 weeks...it was good enough to hand out to some colleagues at work to help me get rid of it...they all said it was good but I still wasn't impressed...I kept back a 1 liter swing top bottle for another couple of weeks and finally opened it up after being bottled for almost 6 weeks and it was so good.

My first all grain was an amber ale and it to seems to be going down the same path at 3 weeks now its starting to get good.

Here is where it gets interesting..a few weeks after the amber ale I did a very simple and easy smash blonde ale that came in at 1046 and finished at 1006 =~5.2%. I tried this beer at 10 days old and and couldn't believe how good it was already...I kept trying one a day until today at 14 days in the bottle and its still good and not really changing. For those who want to know all three of these brews used the same yeast..Notty. Dont worry I am using other dry yeast in some of the other brews I am doing..and plan to enter the world of liquid yeast and starters soon.

The hardest thing, IMO, to master with all grain is hitting your mash temps, but having patience and taking notes will get you there. My Amber Ale is dry as a popcorn fart because I struggled to get my mash temp to 148 and it should have been at the very least least 152. I finally hit my mark dead on with my ESB at 153 and I cant wait to see how it turned out.

Anyway I'm rambling. Happy brewing!!

Home brewing, in this instance,as you iterated, goes hand in hand with book learning. This is a perfect example of how industrial arts programs are done in high school. whether it be auto tech, welding, machine shop, et al, there is the shop...then the related class where you learn from the books what you apply in the shop. Same thing here. You need both to succeed. :mug:
And welcome to the best place to do that!:mug:

I really like your approach - studying for 2 years before starting. Not necessary, as you know, but if you have the temperament for it your brewing should be more successful. And I just love learning more about it. Welcome.

Back