What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP....fb4134o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
th

a.gif

Umm, could I get a jar of those shipped over to me?

That might be a culinary treasure that your country won't allow. One smell, and they'd think it was a chemical weapon of some sort.

Then again, where you are has the rotting shark, right?

Gotta admit... the name of this product does frighten me. Where on the pig are the tidbits?

Oh, you know... here and there. Around. Cheek-meat is always the best.

;)

Good thing I am not the only one (edit - ) 'not' preparing for T-Day! I have just put 2lb of pork loin in slow cooker. I am home alone this thanksgiving as we have a 21yr old cat that is on her last legs and needs feeding and medicine twice a day. The ladies are off to her mother's/grandma's place for thanksgiving. I will eat pie, pulled pork, beans/rice....and kill monsters for the next two days.

That might be a culinary treasure that your country won't allow. One smell, and they'd think it was a chemical weapon of some sort.

;)

HELL yes, Barbacoa tacos yum yum....slow cooker recipe

Good thing I am not the only one (edit - ) 'not' preparing for T-Day! I have just put 2lb of pork loin in slow cooker. I am home alone this thanksgiving as we have a 21yr old cat that is on her last legs and needs feeding and medicine twice a day. The ladies are off to her mother's/grandma's place for thanksgiving. I will eat pie, pulled pork, beans/rice....and kill monsters for the next two days.

poor kitty, we have a 16 year old, been a good friend for many many years

is blind and needs help, poor feller, makes me sad

Making a triple batch of indian blueberry pudding. cooking down three lbs of blueberries in 4C water. remove berries to a bowl, & mash in 1 1/2C flour. Add 3C sugar to juice on stove & stir to dissolve. Mix both together & cook till thickened. stir while cooling to avoid skinning over while cooling. then cover in the fridge.:rockin:

Made an interesting mistake last night - anyone worth their grease knows that new oil takes a batch to "get right" but if you put some older oil with the new, it does great, right? Found some older oil in the fridge, added a few tablespoons to the oil and as it starts to melt - it's bacon grease. I can smell it, although the cold cake smelled of nothing. Weird, because we have a jar we put old bacon grease in, talked about this elsewhere, ANYWAY - I just put 3 Tbsp of bacon grease in 3 cups of oil I am about to fry french-fries in. I am not wasting it, maybe it won't be noticeable, even though it smells like I am frying potatoes in pure bacon grease.

Let me tell you, this was a happy accident. The fries have a certain je ne sais quios that you can't put your finger on, but it's definitely something more than just grease & salt. It's awesome.

Pork fat rules, baby!

Made an interesting mistake last night - anyone worth their grease knows that new oil takes a batch to "get right" but if you put some older oil with the new, it does great, right? Found some older oil in the fridge, added a few tablespoons to the oil and as it starts to melt - it's bacon grease. I can smell it, although the cold cake smelled of nothing. Weird, because we have a jar we put old bacon grease in, talked about this elsewhere, ANYWAY - I just put 3 Tbsp of bacon grease in 3 cups of oil I am about to fry french-fries in. I am not wasting it, maybe it won't be noticeable, even though it smells like I am frying potatoes in pure bacon grease.

Let me tell you, this was a happy accident. The fries have a certain je ne sais quios that you can't put your finger on, but it's definitely something more than just grease & salt. It's awesome.

Pork fat rules, baby!

Yes. as Bob Ross would say "that's a happy little accident" people do fries in duck fat, I can't see bacon fat hurting them.

Sounds great. You gonna leave us hanging like that. Make with the usual amazing pictures. Come on.

gob-bluth.gif
Ok, ok. Here it is. Nothing much to look at imho, but hey. Got some better stuff planned though.
Just a simple bean stew after all.

This one is just lacking contrast of colors and all. Not a photogenic dish.

DSC07415.jpg

Served smoked chicken leg quarters, baked russet potatoes with sour cream and chives, and kernel corn.

Sweet corn was frozen in 2014, steamed for 8 minutes, iced, then cut. Sweet and tender.

Ok, ok. Here it is. Nothing much to look at imho, but hey. Got some better stuff planned though.
Just a simple bean stew after all.

This one is just lacking contrast of colors and all. Not a photogenic dish.

Looks great

Wholesome and hearty as superlatives just don't cut it.

Looks like delicious in a bowl.

Pork fat rules, baby!

yes, !!!!!!

grease 001.jpg

From the outset.. no pics. I could, but don't feel like going through the trouble. I'll simply express what I've been cooking lately. All goods obtained from my local Asian market.

no. 1 Tonkotsu based ramen. Simply amazing. Trotters, chicken bones, leeks, charred onion.. 12 hours.. Alas, I cannot for the life of me obtain fresh noodles. Just impossible where I live, but I've made do. Accouterments include scallion, thin sliced grilled pork, avocado (gasp), kimchi, grilled firm tofu, and a host of other things with Japanese names but are basically things like fresh garlic fried in sesame oil.

no. 2. Boneless/skinless dark meat chicken. Obtained from the same store as the trotters... it's basically the butterflied dark half of a chicken. $0.99/lb. Ok, you've twisted my arm! I marinate this and grill it. So far, it's been bbq'd.. jerked.. but most interesting has been something I saw on TV once.. basically the Dino's chicken of Socal reverse-marinade/cook recipe. I like this with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable of whatever variety looks good.

no 3. Cheesy potato leek soup from all these leftovers ingredients. 'nuff said.

Life is good.

May your yeast work, and may you not forget that bottle of beer you stuck in the freezer.

From the outset.. no pics. I could, but don't feel like going through the trouble. I'll simply express what I've been cooking lately. All goods obtained from my local Asian market.

no. 1 Tonkotsu based ramen. Simply amazing. Trotters and chicken bones.. 12 hours.. Alas, I cannot for the life of me obtain fresh noodles. Just impossible where I live, but I've made do. Accouterments include scallion, thin sliced grilled pork, avocado (gasp), grilled firm tofu, and a host of other things with Japanese names but are basically things like fresh garlic fried in sesame oil.

no. 2. Boneless/skinless dark meat chicken. Obtained from the same store as the trotters... it's basically the butterflied dark half of a chicken. $0.99/lb. Ok, you've twisted my arm! I marinate this and grill it. So far, it's been bbq'd.. jerked.. but most interesting has been something I saw on TV once.. basically the Dino's chicken of Socal reverse-marinade/cook recipe. I like this with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable of whatever variety looks good.

Life is good.

May your yeast work, and may you not forget that bottle of beer you stuck in the freezer to get cold just a little faster, because who can wait for a refrigerator.

does your asian market carry rice tortillas or also called lumpia wrappers ?

banana,brown sugar, wrap them up and fry yum

or hampurger, onion, bellpepper, etc etc wrapped up

oh yes, they have those but I've never bought them. It's in the real Viet side of town.. I usually just get those as a spring roll side with pho when dining nearby. I'll have to try that though, it almost sounds like an Asian bananas foster!

You'd think I would be cooking and prepping for the holiday turkey dinner, but right now I'm cooking BIGOS, POLISH HUNTER’S STEW in a crock pot.

So, I looks better finished cooking with all the flavors blended together. Served with rye bread and a mug of suds.

image.jpg

;)

no rotting shark in finland, that's iceland, sweden has rotting herring in a can though...that's quite near :tank:

Fins aren't too bad with weird foods, closest i can think is mämmi, which is malted rye pudding that looks like it has been eaten before....

;)

No, I think it's Norway that does the rotting fish. That stuff probably could qualify as a chemical weapon ;-)

You're right, though - they wouldn't allow non-EU meat through customs - needs to be inspected by an EU vet. So I guess I won't be getting pickled pig's feet anytime soon.

does your asian market carry rice tortillas or also called lumpia wrappers ?

banana,brown sugar, wrap them up and fry yum

or hampurger, onion, bellpepper, etc etc wrapped up

Tofu bean sprout cilantro soy sauce sriracha shredded carrot? Peanuts crumbled

Hand pies fresh and hot.

mmmmmmm, those look good. I have not decided on desert for today yet. Lot's of apples so it could be something using apples. But I do have some pears so I may do poached pears.

Going very non- traditional with Thanksgiving dinner. Duck two ways. Seared breasts, done medium rare. Then the legs and thighs get browned and then braised with some BDSA, leeks and a handfull of dried cherries. My favorite way to do duck. Roasted root veggies and some brussel sprouts for sides.

banana lumpia also called Turon in Tagalog

Ingredients
4 pcs SABA bananas (as shown in photo)
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 pcs lumpia/pastry wrappers (i use rice paper)
oil for frying

How to make it
Cut bananas in halves (lenghtwise)
roll in brown sugar
neatly wrap with lumpia or pastry wrappers
deep fry in oil in medium heat until golden brown on both sides
drain oil on paper towels
serve immediately
**you could also add chopped nuts(of your choice) to sugar, or sweetened jackfruit, or peanut butter

7526013650.jpg

Back