Pitch one pack of yeast to starter or two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing 10 gal of EdWorts most excellent Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale tomorrow, so I picked up the goodies at my LHBS today, including 2 packs of Notty. I am fixing my starter tonight and started thinking..... since I am making a starter, should I just pitch one pack and rely on their reproduction capabilities and save the other? Or pitch both packets into the starter? I am doing 500ml of Pale DME in a 1000ml flask. Anyone have any suggestions?

OK, new question. What do you do with 500ml of yeast starter without yeast? Stuff tastes like CRAP, so as a warm beverage is out.... Wait a minute. Let me see if the dog likes it....

with how active nott is it might be fun to see someone make a big starter. might have to register it with the BATF though :)

I've had luck with pitching one packet of Notty in a little experiment a while back. It turned out fine (properly hydrate).

On the other hand, a very recent batch of bitters I pitched one hydrated packet of Safale-04 and (for whatever reason) ended up with autolysis that converted into some sort of funky, infectious sulfur brew.

For safety sake, hydrate both packets and pitch...the harvest the abundant yeast that will come from both fermenters. You'll have enough to pitch your next 20 batches.

Back