Adding coffee & vanilla bean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingart

Reaction score
I'm adding coffee and vanilla bean to my porter at the tail end of primary. My question is, any need to sanitize or pasturize the beans? If so any thoughts on the best way to do this?
My thought is to just throw them in and not worry.

cut the vanilla bean down the center and scrape out the black insides. Add that and the bean to the primary. I did a vanilla bourbon porter and soaked the bean in the bourbon to sanitize. It turned out great however i know many people who just toss them in to great results.

Yep, in my Vanilla Coffee Porter I just tossed in my split, scraped vanilla beans into the secondary.

For the coffee, I cold brewed coffee (12oz grounds in 1.5qts water) for 24 hours. Then I strained it, yielding 1qt of incredibly strong coffee. I added all this to the primary to top off to target volume.

if you don't want the vanilla beans in your primary you can soak them in a nuetral spririt - this will sanitize as well as extract the flavour.

I add vanilla beans to secondary, kind of like a dry hop. I split it down the middle and scrape the insides with a sanitized knife, then cut into quarters or so and add to carboy, then rack beer on top.

Latest posts

Back