Smack pack inactive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erw128

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a wit today, so i smacked my wyeast 3944 belgian wit pack yesterday morning at 10ish. The plan was to let it swell a little and then dump it into a starter. But when 1:30 came around, it wasn't very swollen and I had to leave for a BBQ. I knew I wouldn't be home until 11pm at the earliest, so I put it back in the fridge just to make sure it wasn't going to swell too much and eventually blow up. When I came home at midnight, it was not swollen at all. So I took it out of the fridge, and let it sit at room temp all night long. It is now 11:15am and it is still not swelling up. Did I screw it up by putting it back in the fridge after smackin the *****? Also, I had the ingredients to this batch shipped to me, could it have been hurt in the 7-day shipment? Thanks.

Sounds like bad yeast to me. Sometimes that happens with wyeast even when you buy from a local store. My suggestion is don't use 7 day shipping when shipping things like yeast and hops. Especially over the summer...

Pitch it. If you need to leave a pack sitting in the future, just set it in a bowl. I've only had one pack develop a leak and that was relative slight. Don't forget, a wit yeasts can be slow starters.

Back