IIPA hop profile question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totiviridae

Reaction score
Hi All, Long time, first time. I'm making an IIPA with a 17lb grain bill. My hop profile is as follows: FWH; Columbus 1oz, 90min Columbus 1oz, 20min, 10min, 5min and 0 min; 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade in a 1:1:1 ratio and Simcoe dry hop. My question is should I use the boiling hops in this formula? Thanks

What formula? Also, I think I would up the late addition hops, if I'm reading you post right. Not sure if I am though. Maybe make a list of hop additions instead of a paragraph.

Sorry let me try again.
IIPA with a 17lb grain bill.
My hop profile is as follows:
FWH; Columbus 1oz
90min Columbus 1oz
20min 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade
10min 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade
5min 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade
0 min; 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade
Simcoe dry hop.
My question is should I use the boiling hops? Thank you.

Sorry let me try again.
IIPA with a 17lb grain bill.
My hop profile is as follows:
FWH; Columbus 1oz
90min Columbus 1oz
20min 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade
10min 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade
5min 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade
0 min; 0.25 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade
Simcoe dry hop.
My question is should I use the boiling hops? Thank you.

Yes. Boiling hops are needed because a full boil for 60(ish) minutes is required to draw the bittering oils out of the hops.

Did you use a software program to determine your bittering IBU's. For a 17 pound grain bill, you look light on the hops for an IIPA (the king of hoppy ales)

[EDIT] Just plugged your hops into beersmith. Looks like you're good to go on the bittering (boiling hops)[/EDIT]

.25 ounce for flavor and aroma additions is not all that much. I'd increase that, for a 17 pound grainbill (assuming you're going to be in the 1.080+ range).

I'd probably go with at least one ounce at each addition (instead of .75 ounces) and increase the dryhops to at least 2-3 ounces.

Like this:
FWH (and/or 60 minute hops)- to 40 IBUs with this addition
1-2 ounces flavor hops 20 minutes
1-2 ounces flavor hops 10 minutes
1-2 ounces flavor hops 5 minutes
1-2 ounces flavor hops 0 minutes

Dryhop with 2-3 ounces

Your bittering hops looks good. You have 2oz (1oz FWH, and 1oz at 90) of Columbus, that's a high alpha hop. You're good there.

4oz of hops late isn't bad. Personally, I'd like to see around 6-7, but honestly, that's not a big deal. So yes, what you posted looks good. How much are you planning to dry hop with? and what does your grain bill look like?

**Yooper, he's targeting 1oz for each addition, it's .25oz for each hop.

14lb two row
1.5 dextran
1.5 crystal 40

Dry is 1oz Simcoe

I have an oz of centennial type I can add to the flavor profile.

I would almost rather you back off on the Columbus FWH to just .5 oz and then add the other .5 oz to your dry hop. For a IIPA, def looking for that hop aroma.

Thank you all for the input. I will make the adjustments and report back to you with the results.

Latest posts

Back