Dry hopping keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
So I made 10 gallons of Ed Works pale ale and will be bottling half and and serving. Half at my wedding in 3 weeks.

I would like to dry hop the keg and and I've never done this before. I plan on using 1 oz of cascades. My question is, how do 'you' dry hop your kegs? When do you put them in? How much do you put in? Before or after carbonation? Loose or in a hop bag? Do you sanitize the hop bag? Thanks ahead of time.

I've done this before. Definitely use a hop bag or a paint strainer bag for dry hopping in the keg. I actually used some fishing line and created a hop teabag for the keg; just left the end of the fishing line outside of the top, tied to the top of the keg. For best results, use a piece of stainless steel, sanitized, in the hop sack so it's not just floating on top of your beer.

I would use 2 ounces to dry hop if I were you. Not necessary, but it will give off more aroma than one ounce.

You can do this after the beer is carbonated. I would put the hops in 10-14 days before serving for maximized dry -hoppage.

Good luck man. On the beer and the wedding.

This is how I dry hop in keg and lately I dry hop in kegs exclusively to minimize transfers

_MG_4112.jpg

_MG_4111.jpg

I attach coat hanger with epoxy to the keg lid (most of my keg lids modified this way). This allow to tie anything to the hooks. As you can see I use sanitized knee highs instead of hop bag they just much cheaper and easier to find. I usually tie the bag so its about in a middle of a keg. I close lid, and start to carb the beer. Sometimes I dryhop after beer already carbed. No difference there. I leave hops untill keg is empty
I also "dry hopped" with fruit same fashion when I made strawberry blonde.

i take a 1 gallon paint strainer bag, place hops in (after sanatizing the bag) and then tie it with un-waxed/ un-flavored dental floss.. then pull that through the hole and tie it to the handle(sanitized floss).

the floss is so thin that it should have a good seal around the o-ring. Iv done this about 10 times so far and have not had a problem'

Muslin bag or paint strainer bag - sanitized for sure.

Before or after carbonation - doesn't matter.

Some people tie up the bag, some people use weights. I just bag em and toss em in. In the fridge they can stay in there for MONTHS and not produce "Grassy off flavors", at least in my experience. They sink within a few hours, just like hops in a primary carboy do. Especially if you'll be drinking it all in short order, (wedding), don't worry about screwing around with stringing them up or weighing them down.

Back