3 Year Old Kegged Homebrew...Still Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtdominguez3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was cleaning out my brew room, when I noticed a Belgian Wit that I brewed (extract) on 10/14/06! It was kegged, and oxygen-purged. Does anyone know of any dangers in drinking this? Other than taste, could I be getting myself into trouble?

I wouldn't think so.

As far as the keg goes, you need oxygen to oxidize so I don't think that's a concern, if that's what you're getting at.

As far as the beer goes, I think you probably picked the worst style to age that long. So it might not taste as good as the beer will have cleared and stuff... i'd give it a go though.

If you're not sure if it's safe I can give you my address and I'll gladly sample it for ya. :D

How could you forget about a whole batch of beer? I';m usually waiting for all mine to be drinkable?

Yeah, I don't quite get how you could forget about a brew for 3 years! I mean, I've brought in a carboy for bottling and forgotten for a few days because I got bogged down with work and homework, but 3 years?

I also have a Barleywine that I kegged about 3-4 years ago. I have known about it, but just have never gotten into kegging. It was purged and sealed with CO2, I just hope it is some good stuff when the time does come to cool it and tap it.

Hooooooly carp... that's an incredibly long time to just forget about a batch. It's really too bad this wasn't something heavy and complex that would be face-punchingly delicious after three years.

I'm sure it'll be just fine but not at its full potential. I like R2-D2's idea of adding new beer and tossing in an orange.

Well, witbier isnt a style that ages gracefully. Its not going to make you sick though if thats what you are asking. If it was stored in good conditions it will probably taste like witbier past its prime. Most of the spice flavor and aroma has likely faded.

Too bad it wasn't an RIS you found. Now that would be devine.

I figured I would take some crap for "losing" this beer. I almost thought of some witty/tough lie. How about we just pretend that I've been in jail for the past three years, and just got out? I'll let you all know how my "Freedom Wit" tastes. Thanks for the input.

First thing I would do is make sure it was still holding pressure. If so clean off the top spray it with starsan and pop it open. Look for any bacteria on the surface of the beer and give it a good smell. If all seems normal. Close her up, rock on some CO2 and hamme down!

OK...here's the verdict: I tried it a few days ago, and thought that I would give myself sometime to see if I ended up in the hospital. Luckily, I am still mobile. For anyone caught in the same predicament, it wasn't a bad beer, it just wasn't that good. I am a stickler to a sanitary environment, so I am sure that helped. No major off-flavors, decent carbonation, decent color, could have been a bit clearer, just not very complex. In short, I wouldn't recommend storing a Belgian Wit for three years prior to consumption.

The only beer I've had that got lost was a Belgian Duppel. It was at my former brewing buddy's and I discovered it a couple years later while helping his former GF clean his stuff out.

Just finished a Barley wine kegged in 2003. The 2005 is now on tap.

OK...here's the verdict: I tried it a few days ago, and thought that I would give myself sometime to see if I ended up in the hospital. Luckily, I am still mobile. For anyone caught in the same predicament, it wasn't a bad beer, it just wasn't that good. I am a stickler to a sanitary environment, so I am sure that helped. No major off-flavors, decent carbonation, decent color, could have been a bit clearer, just not very complex. In short, I wouldn't recommend storing a Belgian Wit for three years prior to consumption.

A Witbier should not be clear, as it should have yeast in suspension. Unless you have agitated the keg though, that is probably not the answer, as I would have expected the yeast to settle out after three years.

You could boil up a small amount of coriander and orange peel in a little water and try to reintroduce the flavor, if you want to get back some of the complexity. The local microbrewery here even adds a little black pepper. That said, I have no idea how it would turn out adding this to the finished product rather than the boil.

It's still beer. Perhaps just squeeze a slice of orange into your glass and keep better inventory. :)

Back