Crazy Temperature Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finny13

Reaction score
Have been fermenting an IPA for a little over a week now at around 68 degrees. Its been hot lately so I've been using a spare fridge to regulate the temperature of the beer in the fermenter. Some how i didn't turn my fridge all the way down last night and it turned on overnight and cooled my beer all the way down to 57 degrees! I imagine this cannot be good. It's still fermenting with bubbles blowing in the airlock about every 10 seconds, but Im imagining I'm going to have some off flavors.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them, and what kind of off flavors did you have? If no one has had this happen to them but has a good guess or knowledge of what this may do to my beer I'd like to hear what you think!

After a week it could have been done. Diacetyl could be a problem if it dropped the yeast out before it had cleaned it up. With enough healthy yeast most ales are at FG in less than a week.

It's a decent sized beer starting out at 1.071 OG. It's been sitting at 68 for about a week even yesterday evening when I checked it was at 68. So between about 8PM and 9AM to went from 68 to 57. Could there have been that much damage done in that time? I mean I know the main concern is the yeast getting stuck and that hasn't happened. I planned on a primary fermentation for 2 weeks, then racking to a secondary for another week before bottling

Back