Mythbusters cancelled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to go on record as saying,

Kari is hot!

Yuuuup!

kari-byron-hot-8.jpg

brunei+mythbusters+confirmed.jpg

Yep, that is why Jamie got an honorary doctorate degree from Villanova and Twente Universities in engineering. Not because of his extensive knowledge of engineering but because of what he has done as a TV host to promote learning, particulary engineering/science. All this encourages kids to enroll at Villanova or Twente for engineering.

He earned a degree in Russian linguistics from Indiana University.[5] He also received an honorary Doctor of Engineering degree from Villanova University. On 25 November 2011, Hyneman was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Twente (Enschede, Netherlands) for his role in the popularization of science and technology.[6]

Personally I think these degrees are a sham unless you actually are a expert in the field. For example, an accomplished musician who is as gifted and knowledgable as any graduate of the school may deserve one.

Nobody takes those degrees seriously. This is why they are called honorary degrees: it's not as if Jamie could decide to have a shot at a tenured position with it :D James Doohan got several honorary degres for his role in the popularization of science because of his role in Star Trek, for example. They are akin to getting the keys to the city (is this still done ?): a pat and the back and a good opportunity for a photo shoot.

They just got a couple honorary degrees over in the Netherlands.

University of Twente honours the mythbusters

Friday 25 November 2011

Television presenters Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman were awarded honorary doctorates by the University of Twente on Friday for their role in popularising science.

The duo host the television show MythBusters in which they test various myths and urban legends.

In the past, the MythBusters have examined if it is possible to walk on water, to beat a lie detector test, and how hard it is to steal candy from a baby.

Although this is the first doctorate bestowed upon Savage, Hyneman received a doctorate of engineering from Villanova University in 2010.

The degrees were awarded as part of the university’s celebration of its 50th Dies Natalis or Foundation Day which was also attended by queen Beatrix.

DutchNews.nl - University of Twente honours the mythbusters

My sister-in-law got to interview Adam about this, which is pretty friggin' sweet (that little news article is hers).

Oh, and again to reiterate...

Photo468.jpg

Nobody's answered the question about Kari in those stockings.

I don't think that's actually her. First of all, there's so much makeup and it's so heavily photoshopped it could be almost anybody (could be PTN for all I know). It kind of looks like her, but kind of not especially.

I also have to think that she's being pretty careful with her image, she's got a pretty good gig going as it is.

Nobody's answered the question about Kari in those stockings.

I don't think that's actually her. First of all, there's so much makeup and it's so heavily photoshopped it could be almost anybody (could be PTN for all I know). It kind of looks like her, but kind of not especially.

I also have to think that she's being pretty careful with her image, she's got a pretty good gig going as it is.

Actually it is, I found it via teh googelz, she did an interview for Suicide Girls. And that glamour shot was part of the I-view.

But I think there was only that and the head shot used as the banner for the I-view.

A few comments (apologies for the novel):

1) +1 on Kari being smokin' hot (goes without saying, I know). If only her taste in beer on the fire extinguisher pic was a little better ;)

2) How has anyone determined the show is being cancelled? Considering the kinds of experiments they can get into, the fact that they have run into only one real public-endangering accident in 8 years on the air seems, for lack of a better word, respectable. They obviously take safety very seriously, and aside from maybe needing a more isolated location to do this test, the cannonball incident sounded like a freak occurrence. Instead of scrapping the episode, they could show it, in a serious manner, and explain, "here is what we attempted, here are the precautions we took, and here is why it went wrong".

3) Say what you will about Adam & Jamie's scientific backgrounds (or lack thereof), but they really do get kids interested in science and engineering. I'm a civil engineer and my co-workers and I regularly speak at schools to drum up interest in science-based careers. One of the activities we do is the Ruben's Tube (the metal pipe where you can use flames to visualize sound waves). Inevitably, a kid in every group will bring up, "Oh hey, I saw this on Mythbusters!".

this thread is the first listing on avg search

Sweet, I'm famous....even if I did get it wrong. I don't remember where I first read that it was cancelled. I'm guessing I read that someone somewhere was speculating that it was cancelled and I just misinterpreted it.

Anyways, sorry for my bad reporting. Guess that's why I'm not a journalist.

On the positive side, I got to view all those hot shots of Kari.

I HOPE that show is cancelled. I hate that joke of a show. They set up their "experiments" to get the results they want. They may or may not inspire kids to become scientists, but the kids will have to unlearn everything they thought they learned from watching it.

You guys put way too much in a show that is simply meant to be entertaining.

You guys make me laugh. Science is very much like accounting - processes and values can be skewed to validate the users hypothesis. Pulling Mythbusters for misrepresenting science is like pulling Real Housewives of wherever for misrepresenting real housewives.

You guys make me laugh. Science is very much like accounting - processes and values can be skewed to validate the users hypothesis. Pulling Mythbusters for misrepresenting science is like pulling Real Housewives of wherever for misrepresenting real housewives.

I've seen some of those silicone injected on other shows, I think we need to amend your comment to read, "misrepresenting real women."

:)

Latest posts

Back