Anybody ever tried de-carbing and repitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnolobster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Bitter I brewed a while ago. It's about 5 weeks old and it's got big acetaldehyde problems.
I've considered letting it sit a while longer, but the beer didn't finish well anyway. It was at 1.020 when I racked it from the primary into the keg after 14 days.

Could I rack it back into a carboy, let it sit for a couple days and wait for all the co2 to come out of solution and throw in some yeast and a little bit of sugar to get them started?

For that matter, could I minimash some maris otter and some biscuit, boil it and then pitch it in instead of sugar?

e: To explain more, this was an all grain batch. 9lbs of Maris Otter and 2oz of EKG at 60 and 15. Mashed at 156-157. Temps were good. I don't know if 1.020 is likely with higher mash temps like that, but the idea was to retain some body. I did it with a new boil kettle and didn't hit my volumes, so it was lower gravity than I hoped. I think it was 1.046 OG. The fermentation went well. I made a 1L starter and had activity in a couple hours after pitching.

I would kraeusen it.

Let the beer warm up to room temp. Vent often. Throw in about a quart of starter that is just starting to ferment -- strain is unimportant. Close keg, wait a week or two, chill, throw out first cloudy pint, enjoy.

Back