howdo you kno when your beer is spoiled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
I just cracked my first ever homebrew today but there is definitely something wrong. It spent one week in the fermenter, 3 in the carboy, and 2 more in the bottle before trying, and at first i was happy because it had a nice full head on it when i poured it, but after smelling it and tasting it, there was definitely something just not right with it. I dont know where i went wrong.

one big clue im sure is that i didnt use a sanitizing agent to clean the equipment, I used boiling water instead. also I used soap in the bottles, but I cleaned them out very thoroughly. was any of this a bad idea? I would like my second batch to come out drinkable haha

Buy yourself some Star-San and try again. Your LHBS should have it, or just about everyone online carries it.

The problem with using boiling water is that you need a long contact time (minutes at least). The problem with soap is that once you rinse it off, you have just recontaminated everything.

it takes 15min to kill bac. with hot water at least use some bleach if you have nothing else and rise with boiled water

Did you only crack one open? may not be in all your bottles if it is contaminated. try another see how it is

oh mann, sounds like I really messed up. I will definitely have to buy some star san. and while the last video just taught me alot about carbonation, and im pretty sure this beer isnt actually fully carbed like i thought it was, i still think there is something wrong with it because it smells fiunny and tastes a little off. i cant really put my finger on what the smell/taste is but its not really good.

+1 to the above comments. When I bottle I typically let the beer sit for at least 3 weeks.

Hope is not lost! Time heals most things in beer.

Most off flavors or infections have pretty strongly distinct tastes and smells. Sour. Wet cardboard. Medicinal/band aid. This just sounds like it's green to me. Leave it alone for a few weeks and try again. It's only 2 weeks in the bottle, after all!

Back