rookie with a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
Hi guys

i just started my first wine and I think I might of screwed it up. The wine came with wood chip and i forgot to add them. Is that going to afect the wine? Also I sprinkled the yeast directly into the bucket (I did not put it on warm water first like the package for the yeast said) I am still learning but I just want to know if the fermentation process does not begin in 2 days is it safe to say that the yeast is not working?

The wood chips most likely go into the seconday and The yeast will probrably be ok as long as the temperature isn't too cold . I'm more of a beer brewer than a wine maker. Dont sweat it someone more experienced will show up here soon to give you a more accurate diagnosis.

It should be fine! Go ahead and add the oak chips and stir well. The yeast should start up any time now. Try to keep the temperature around 70 degrees or so if you can.

Thanks guys...I started the wine late on Sunday night and by the time I got home from work on Monday night I had some bubble activity...does that mean is working even without the oak? I woke up this morning and the bubbles seem to be a little faster now, not much but a little faster. Another question...Is the oak wood chip for the yeast to work or for the taste?

Back