Need answer fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
I am mashing dude's pliny the bastid right now, had a lot of trouble getting the strike temp right because of the big grain bill(doing ten gallons). Is there a way to be sure that I had an efficient mash before I boil in $40 worth of hops, I am very worried that I screwed up big time. Don't know if I can check sg after first runnings or if I should sparge first or what. Help... what should i look for?

Do an iodine starch test - if a bit of wort drawn from the mash makes a drop of iodine turn black/purple, conversion is not complete.

You can check the gravity of the pre-boil wort - it should be reasonably close to your desired OG (maybe a bit less, since you're going to boil off some volume).

Well I can't do an ioding starch test since I don't have iodine on hand, I will check preboil wort, the recipe calls for .75lbs of dextrose, how much will that raise sg reading on ten gallons?

Take a sample and chill it whilst you leave the mash on. If you are not down to temp after 10 minutes or so then jsut do a temp adjustment calc.

Good luck, it'll be fine I'm sure.

Back